Retrieve the numbering of a paragraph object with style “Paragraph List” The Next CEO of Stack OverflowHow do I check if a list is empty?Finding the index of an item given a list containing it in PythonDifference between append vs. extend list methods in PythonHow to make a flat list out of list of lists?How do I get the number of elements in a list in Python?How do I concatenate two lists in Python?Determine the type of an object?How to clone or copy a list?How do I list all files of a directory?How to read a file line-by-line into a list?

Was a professor correct to chastise me for writing "Prof. X" rather than "Professor X"?

How to get regions to plot as graphics

Go Pregnant or Go Home

What can we do to stop prior company from asking us questions?

Horror movie/show or scene where a horse creature opens its mouth really wide and devours a man in a stables

Should I tutor a student who I know has cheated on their homework?

How easy is it to start Magic from scratch?

Inappropriate reference requests from Journal reviewers

Increase performance creating Mandelbrot set in python

Does the Brexit deal have to be agreed by both Houses?

Robert Sheckley short story about vacation spots being overwhelmed

Trouble understanding the speech of overseas colleagues

How to start emacs in "nothing" mode (`fundamental-mode`)

When Does an Atlas Uniquely Define a Manifold?

Why didn't Khan get resurrected in the Genesis Explosion?

Does it take more energy to get to Venus or to Mars?

Is it safe to use c_str() on a temporary string?

How to make a variable always equal to the result of some calculations?

What does this shorthand mean?

If the heap is initialized for security, then why is the stack uninitialized?

Why did we only see the N-1 starfighters in one film?

How should I support this large drywall patch?

Whats the best way to handle refactoring a big file?

How do I get the green key off the shelf in the Dobby level of Lego Harry Potter 2?



Retrieve the numbering of a paragraph object with style “Paragraph List”



The Next CEO of Stack OverflowHow do I check if a list is empty?Finding the index of an item given a list containing it in PythonDifference between append vs. extend list methods in PythonHow to make a flat list out of list of lists?How do I get the number of elements in a list in Python?How do I concatenate two lists in Python?Determine the type of an object?How to clone or copy a list?How do I list all files of a directory?How to read a file line-by-line into a list?










0















I think the title is pretty much self explanatory. The following piece of code omits the numbering in cases where the paragraph is of type "ListParagraph":



import docx
doc = docx.Document('test.docx')
for para in doc.paragraphs:
print(para.text)


To infer the numbering, what I understand is that one has to go to the document.xml and cross-correlate that with numbering.xml. So, using python-docx we can say that



numId_val = para._element.pPr.numPr.numId.val


gives you access to the numbering style id. Then the call



para._element.pPr.numPr.ilvl.val


gives you access to the numbering level, counting from 0.



Then one can in principle construct a recursive algorithm to infer the numbering, based on the sequence of numId_vals and ilvls.



I found however that this will not work in extracting the correct numbering if the author has customised her list to start with, e.g., a decimal number which is not simply the following integer.



Is there a correct and more robust solution?



Thanks so much for your help - this has busted my brain for a while now.










share|improve this question




























    0















    I think the title is pretty much self explanatory. The following piece of code omits the numbering in cases where the paragraph is of type "ListParagraph":



    import docx
    doc = docx.Document('test.docx')
    for para in doc.paragraphs:
    print(para.text)


    To infer the numbering, what I understand is that one has to go to the document.xml and cross-correlate that with numbering.xml. So, using python-docx we can say that



    numId_val = para._element.pPr.numPr.numId.val


    gives you access to the numbering style id. Then the call



    para._element.pPr.numPr.ilvl.val


    gives you access to the numbering level, counting from 0.



    Then one can in principle construct a recursive algorithm to infer the numbering, based on the sequence of numId_vals and ilvls.



    I found however that this will not work in extracting the correct numbering if the author has customised her list to start with, e.g., a decimal number which is not simply the following integer.



    Is there a correct and more robust solution?



    Thanks so much for your help - this has busted my brain for a while now.










    share|improve this question


























      0












      0








      0








      I think the title is pretty much self explanatory. The following piece of code omits the numbering in cases where the paragraph is of type "ListParagraph":



      import docx
      doc = docx.Document('test.docx')
      for para in doc.paragraphs:
      print(para.text)


      To infer the numbering, what I understand is that one has to go to the document.xml and cross-correlate that with numbering.xml. So, using python-docx we can say that



      numId_val = para._element.pPr.numPr.numId.val


      gives you access to the numbering style id. Then the call



      para._element.pPr.numPr.ilvl.val


      gives you access to the numbering level, counting from 0.



      Then one can in principle construct a recursive algorithm to infer the numbering, based on the sequence of numId_vals and ilvls.



      I found however that this will not work in extracting the correct numbering if the author has customised her list to start with, e.g., a decimal number which is not simply the following integer.



      Is there a correct and more robust solution?



      Thanks so much for your help - this has busted my brain for a while now.










      share|improve this question
















      I think the title is pretty much self explanatory. The following piece of code omits the numbering in cases where the paragraph is of type "ListParagraph":



      import docx
      doc = docx.Document('test.docx')
      for para in doc.paragraphs:
      print(para.text)


      To infer the numbering, what I understand is that one has to go to the document.xml and cross-correlate that with numbering.xml. So, using python-docx we can say that



      numId_val = para._element.pPr.numPr.numId.val


      gives you access to the numbering style id. Then the call



      para._element.pPr.numPr.ilvl.val


      gives you access to the numbering level, counting from 0.



      Then one can in principle construct a recursive algorithm to infer the numbering, based on the sequence of numId_vals and ilvls.



      I found however that this will not work in extracting the correct numbering if the author has customised her list to start with, e.g., a decimal number which is not simply the following integer.



      Is there a correct and more robust solution?



      Thanks so much for your help - this has busted my brain for a while now.







      python python-docx






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited Mar 8 at 13:20









      glibdud

      5,68921731




      5,68921731










      asked Mar 8 at 13:11









      AlexAlex

      456




      456






















          0






          active

          oldest

          votes












          Your Answer






          StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
          StackExchange.snippets.init();
          );
          );
          , "code-snippets");

          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "1"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55063931%2fretrieve-the-numbering-of-a-paragraph-object-with-style-paragraph-list%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          0






          active

          oldest

          votes








          0






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes















          draft saved

          draft discarded
















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55063931%2fretrieve-the-numbering-of-a-paragraph-object-with-style-paragraph-list%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

          Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices

          How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page