Can UserDefaults get values for system-wide settings? The Next CEO of Stack OverflowTrigger loginwindow to reload AskForPassword on wake from sleepHow to Read String from NSUserDefaultsHow to check if user selected file(s) my Sandboxed app has permission to write?CFPreferencesCopyAppValue misbehaving on mavericks?How to determinate if agent/daemon has disabled or enabled state on OSX 10.6?How do I register a plist to NSUserDefaults?Force Unwrap Optionals from UITextfieldIs it possible that UserDefaults.standard values will not be available to be read?UserDefaults in Call Directory Extension's Caller IDAccessing User Defaults on Apple Watch app Extension with watchOS 5

When did Lisp start using symbols for arithmetic?

Text adventure game code

How do I go from 300 unfinished/half written blog posts, to published posts?

What happens if you roll doubles 3 times then land on "Go to jail?"

How to safely derail a train during transit?

Why is there a PLL in CPU?

Science fiction (dystopian) short story set after WWIII

Is it my responsibility to learn a new technology in my own time my employer wants to implement?

Why does standard notation not preserve intervals (visually)

Implement the Thanos sorting algorithm

How should I support this large drywall patch?

% symbol leads to superlong (forever?) compilations

Is the concept of a "numerable" fiber bundle really useful or an empty generalization?

Does the Brexit deal have to be agreed by both Houses?

Where to find order of arguments for default functions

How to make a variable always equal to the result of some calculations?

Are there languages with no euphemisms?

Why do remote companies require working in the US?

I believe this to be a fraud - hired, then asked to cash check and send cash as Bitcoin

What does this shorthand mean?

What is the point of a new vote on May's deal when the indicative votes suggest she will not win?

Why were Madagascar and New Zealand discovered so late?

The King's new dress

What does "Its cash flow is deeply negative" mean?



Can UserDefaults get values for system-wide settings?



The Next CEO of Stack OverflowTrigger loginwindow to reload AskForPassword on wake from sleepHow to Read String from NSUserDefaultsHow to check if user selected file(s) my Sandboxed app has permission to write?CFPreferencesCopyAppValue misbehaving on mavericks?How to determinate if agent/daemon has disabled or enabled state on OSX 10.6?How do I register a plist to NSUserDefaults?Force Unwrap Optionals from UITextfieldIs it possible that UserDefaults.standard values will not be available to be read?UserDefaults in Call Directory Extension's Caller IDAccessing User Defaults on Apple Watch app Extension with watchOS 5










-2















I'm trying to see if this setting is enabled and what it's set to. You need to authenticate to change it via the GUI as it applies to all users.



Unsurprisingly, I can't find it amongst the keys and values returned by UserDefaults - can I even get these types of settings with UserDefaults?



Require password setting



Further info: It's specified in the com.apple.screensaver domain with the keys askForPassword and askForPasswordDelay.



This setting doesn't seem to have appeared in the /Library/Preferences folder as a .plist file and I can't read it with defaults read com.apple.screensaver as root or as a standard user; for root there's no such domain, with unrelated values being returned for the user.



I have been able to determine if the key is forced/managed, but not retrieve its value.



UserDefaults.objectIsForced(forKey: "askForPassword", inDomain: "com.apple.screensaver")









share|improve this question
























  • open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist I see the file in the users directory. No issue

    – Marek H
    Mar 8 at 17:04












  • The question isn't really about the files, it's about getting certain values out of CFPrefs. The settings are getting stashed somewhere on the filesystem when cfprefsd flushes them - the settings persist through reboots. Wether or not I can see the files isn't much of a help at this point.

    – macaco
    Mar 8 at 20:13






  • 1





    Works out of the box for Non-Sandboxed app. CFArrayRef prefs = CFPreferencesCopyKeyList (CFSTR("com.apple.screensaver"), kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, kCFPreferencesAnyHost);

    – Marek H
    Mar 8 at 20:28











  • Thanks :) I was trying to avoid delving into CFPrefs too much, but it looks like it's the way to go. Hopefully I'll be able to answer my own question soon!

    – macaco
    Mar 8 at 21:21















-2















I'm trying to see if this setting is enabled and what it's set to. You need to authenticate to change it via the GUI as it applies to all users.



Unsurprisingly, I can't find it amongst the keys and values returned by UserDefaults - can I even get these types of settings with UserDefaults?



Require password setting



Further info: It's specified in the com.apple.screensaver domain with the keys askForPassword and askForPasswordDelay.



This setting doesn't seem to have appeared in the /Library/Preferences folder as a .plist file and I can't read it with defaults read com.apple.screensaver as root or as a standard user; for root there's no such domain, with unrelated values being returned for the user.



I have been able to determine if the key is forced/managed, but not retrieve its value.



UserDefaults.objectIsForced(forKey: "askForPassword", inDomain: "com.apple.screensaver")









share|improve this question
























  • open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist I see the file in the users directory. No issue

    – Marek H
    Mar 8 at 17:04












  • The question isn't really about the files, it's about getting certain values out of CFPrefs. The settings are getting stashed somewhere on the filesystem when cfprefsd flushes them - the settings persist through reboots. Wether or not I can see the files isn't much of a help at this point.

    – macaco
    Mar 8 at 20:13






  • 1





    Works out of the box for Non-Sandboxed app. CFArrayRef prefs = CFPreferencesCopyKeyList (CFSTR("com.apple.screensaver"), kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, kCFPreferencesAnyHost);

    – Marek H
    Mar 8 at 20:28











  • Thanks :) I was trying to avoid delving into CFPrefs too much, but it looks like it's the way to go. Hopefully I'll be able to answer my own question soon!

    – macaco
    Mar 8 at 21:21













-2












-2








-2








I'm trying to see if this setting is enabled and what it's set to. You need to authenticate to change it via the GUI as it applies to all users.



Unsurprisingly, I can't find it amongst the keys and values returned by UserDefaults - can I even get these types of settings with UserDefaults?



Require password setting



Further info: It's specified in the com.apple.screensaver domain with the keys askForPassword and askForPasswordDelay.



This setting doesn't seem to have appeared in the /Library/Preferences folder as a .plist file and I can't read it with defaults read com.apple.screensaver as root or as a standard user; for root there's no such domain, with unrelated values being returned for the user.



I have been able to determine if the key is forced/managed, but not retrieve its value.



UserDefaults.objectIsForced(forKey: "askForPassword", inDomain: "com.apple.screensaver")









share|improve this question
















I'm trying to see if this setting is enabled and what it's set to. You need to authenticate to change it via the GUI as it applies to all users.



Unsurprisingly, I can't find it amongst the keys and values returned by UserDefaults - can I even get these types of settings with UserDefaults?



Require password setting



Further info: It's specified in the com.apple.screensaver domain with the keys askForPassword and askForPasswordDelay.



This setting doesn't seem to have appeared in the /Library/Preferences folder as a .plist file and I can't read it with defaults read com.apple.screensaver as root or as a standard user; for root there's no such domain, with unrelated values being returned for the user.



I have been able to determine if the key is forced/managed, but not retrieve its value.



UserDefaults.objectIsForced(forKey: "askForPassword", inDomain: "com.apple.screensaver")






swift macos






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Mar 8 at 13:26







macaco

















asked Mar 8 at 12:51









macacomacaco

1444




1444












  • open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist I see the file in the users directory. No issue

    – Marek H
    Mar 8 at 17:04












  • The question isn't really about the files, it's about getting certain values out of CFPrefs. The settings are getting stashed somewhere on the filesystem when cfprefsd flushes them - the settings persist through reboots. Wether or not I can see the files isn't much of a help at this point.

    – macaco
    Mar 8 at 20:13






  • 1





    Works out of the box for Non-Sandboxed app. CFArrayRef prefs = CFPreferencesCopyKeyList (CFSTR("com.apple.screensaver"), kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, kCFPreferencesAnyHost);

    – Marek H
    Mar 8 at 20:28











  • Thanks :) I was trying to avoid delving into CFPrefs too much, but it looks like it's the way to go. Hopefully I'll be able to answer my own question soon!

    – macaco
    Mar 8 at 21:21

















  • open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist I see the file in the users directory. No issue

    – Marek H
    Mar 8 at 17:04












  • The question isn't really about the files, it's about getting certain values out of CFPrefs. The settings are getting stashed somewhere on the filesystem when cfprefsd flushes them - the settings persist through reboots. Wether or not I can see the files isn't much of a help at this point.

    – macaco
    Mar 8 at 20:13






  • 1





    Works out of the box for Non-Sandboxed app. CFArrayRef prefs = CFPreferencesCopyKeyList (CFSTR("com.apple.screensaver"), kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, kCFPreferencesAnyHost);

    – Marek H
    Mar 8 at 20:28











  • Thanks :) I was trying to avoid delving into CFPrefs too much, but it looks like it's the way to go. Hopefully I'll be able to answer my own question soon!

    – macaco
    Mar 8 at 21:21
















open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist I see the file in the users directory. No issue

– Marek H
Mar 8 at 17:04






open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist I see the file in the users directory. No issue

– Marek H
Mar 8 at 17:04














The question isn't really about the files, it's about getting certain values out of CFPrefs. The settings are getting stashed somewhere on the filesystem when cfprefsd flushes them - the settings persist through reboots. Wether or not I can see the files isn't much of a help at this point.

– macaco
Mar 8 at 20:13





The question isn't really about the files, it's about getting certain values out of CFPrefs. The settings are getting stashed somewhere on the filesystem when cfprefsd flushes them - the settings persist through reboots. Wether or not I can see the files isn't much of a help at this point.

– macaco
Mar 8 at 20:13




1




1





Works out of the box for Non-Sandboxed app. CFArrayRef prefs = CFPreferencesCopyKeyList (CFSTR("com.apple.screensaver"), kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, kCFPreferencesAnyHost);

– Marek H
Mar 8 at 20:28





Works out of the box for Non-Sandboxed app. CFArrayRef prefs = CFPreferencesCopyKeyList (CFSTR("com.apple.screensaver"), kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, kCFPreferencesAnyHost);

– Marek H
Mar 8 at 20:28













Thanks :) I was trying to avoid delving into CFPrefs too much, but it looks like it's the way to go. Hopefully I'll be able to answer my own question soon!

– macaco
Mar 8 at 21:21





Thanks :) I was trying to avoid delving into CFPrefs too much, but it looks like it's the way to go. Hopefully I'll be able to answer my own question soon!

– macaco
Mar 8 at 21:21












0






active

oldest

votes












Your Answer






StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55063620%2fcan-userdefaults-get-values-for-system-wide-settings%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55063620%2fcan-userdefaults-get-values-for-system-wide-settings%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices

How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page