Faster normalization of image (numpy array) The Next CEO of Stack OverflowPeak detection in a 2D arrayDump a NumPy array into a csv fileWhy are elementwise additions much faster in separate loops than in a combined loop?Why is it faster to process a sorted array than an unsorted array?Why does Python code run faster in a function?Is < faster than <=?Numpy dot() and array casting performace optimizationDifference between every pair of columns of two numpy arrays (how to do it more efficiently)?Why is [] faster than list()?Faster performance for normalizing a numpy array?

Customer Requests (Sometimes) Drive Me Bonkers!

How to count occurrences of text in a file?

How do spells that require an ability check vs. the caster's spell save DC work?

Example of a Mathematician/Physicist whose Other Publications during their PhD eclipsed their PhD Thesis

How do scammers retract money, while you can’t?

Visit to the USA with ESTA approved before trip to Iran

What makes a siege story/plot interesting?

Was a professor correct to chastise me for writing "Prof. X" rather than "Professor X"?

Text adventure game code

How to make a variable always equal to the result of some calculations?

How do I solve this limit?

How can I open an app using Terminal?

Can I equip Skullclamp on a creature I am sacrificing?

What is meant by a M next to a roman numeral?

Why here is plural "We went to the movies last night."

Are there languages with no euphemisms?

Science fiction (dystopian) short story set after WWIII

Can a caster that cast Polymorph on themselves stop concentrating at any point even if their Int is low?

Is a stroke of luck acceptable after a series of unfavorable events?

Implement the Thanos sorting algorithm

Why didn't Theresa May consult with Parliament before negotiating a deal with the EU?

Anatomically Correct Strange Women In Ponds Distributing Swords

Only print output after finding pattern

Putting a 2D region plot under a 3D plot



Faster normalization of image (numpy array)



The Next CEO of Stack OverflowPeak detection in a 2D arrayDump a NumPy array into a csv fileWhy are elementwise additions much faster in separate loops than in a combined loop?Why is it faster to process a sorted array than an unsorted array?Why does Python code run faster in a function?Is < faster than <=?Numpy dot() and array casting performace optimizationDifference between every pair of columns of two numpy arrays (how to do it more efficiently)?Why is [] faster than list()?Faster performance for normalizing a numpy array?










1















I've got function that takes some image as a input and changes it values (scales) in a way that average value will be 96. Here is the function:



def normalize_image(image: np.ndarray):
image_median = np.median(image[image > 0])
image = image * 96.0 / image_median
image[image > 255] = 255
return image


I am using python 3.5.3 and numpy 1.15.2. I profiled my code with cProfile and it turned out that this function takes 6% of all time (in some scenarios up to 25% of all time) having only 50 calls. These array have shape of (155,256,256).



I am not very experienced with optimizing python and I wonder if this could be made faster somehow?



Normally I would start with using SIMD optimization but numpy use them heavily already.










share|improve this question



















  • 1





    The median calculation could take a long time (needs sorting of the array). Can you maybe replace it with the mean?

    – Trilarion
    Mar 8 at 12:29











  • @Trilarion it will provide worse results. I am not sure how big is the difference between mean and median for all of the images that I have. I tested it and there is almost no time difference between mean and median in this case.

    – wdudzik
    Mar 8 at 12:34







  • 1





    Microoptimization: replace image = image * 96.0 / image_median with image = image * (96.0 / image_median).

    – Warren Weckesser
    Mar 8 at 12:49















1















I've got function that takes some image as a input and changes it values (scales) in a way that average value will be 96. Here is the function:



def normalize_image(image: np.ndarray):
image_median = np.median(image[image > 0])
image = image * 96.0 / image_median
image[image > 255] = 255
return image


I am using python 3.5.3 and numpy 1.15.2. I profiled my code with cProfile and it turned out that this function takes 6% of all time (in some scenarios up to 25% of all time) having only 50 calls. These array have shape of (155,256,256).



I am not very experienced with optimizing python and I wonder if this could be made faster somehow?



Normally I would start with using SIMD optimization but numpy use them heavily already.










share|improve this question



















  • 1





    The median calculation could take a long time (needs sorting of the array). Can you maybe replace it with the mean?

    – Trilarion
    Mar 8 at 12:29











  • @Trilarion it will provide worse results. I am not sure how big is the difference between mean and median for all of the images that I have. I tested it and there is almost no time difference between mean and median in this case.

    – wdudzik
    Mar 8 at 12:34







  • 1





    Microoptimization: replace image = image * 96.0 / image_median with image = image * (96.0 / image_median).

    – Warren Weckesser
    Mar 8 at 12:49













1












1








1








I've got function that takes some image as a input and changes it values (scales) in a way that average value will be 96. Here is the function:



def normalize_image(image: np.ndarray):
image_median = np.median(image[image > 0])
image = image * 96.0 / image_median
image[image > 255] = 255
return image


I am using python 3.5.3 and numpy 1.15.2. I profiled my code with cProfile and it turned out that this function takes 6% of all time (in some scenarios up to 25% of all time) having only 50 calls. These array have shape of (155,256,256).



I am not very experienced with optimizing python and I wonder if this could be made faster somehow?



Normally I would start with using SIMD optimization but numpy use them heavily already.










share|improve this question
















I've got function that takes some image as a input and changes it values (scales) in a way that average value will be 96. Here is the function:



def normalize_image(image: np.ndarray):
image_median = np.median(image[image > 0])
image = image * 96.0 / image_median
image[image > 255] = 255
return image


I am using python 3.5.3 and numpy 1.15.2. I profiled my code with cProfile and it turned out that this function takes 6% of all time (in some scenarios up to 25% of all time) having only 50 calls. These array have shape of (155,256,256).



I am not very experienced with optimizing python and I wonder if this could be made faster somehow?



Normally I would start with using SIMD optimization but numpy use them heavily already.







python performance numpy






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Mar 8 at 12:35







wdudzik

















asked Mar 8 at 12:25









wdudzikwdudzik

823717




823717







  • 1





    The median calculation could take a long time (needs sorting of the array). Can you maybe replace it with the mean?

    – Trilarion
    Mar 8 at 12:29











  • @Trilarion it will provide worse results. I am not sure how big is the difference between mean and median for all of the images that I have. I tested it and there is almost no time difference between mean and median in this case.

    – wdudzik
    Mar 8 at 12:34







  • 1





    Microoptimization: replace image = image * 96.0 / image_median with image = image * (96.0 / image_median).

    – Warren Weckesser
    Mar 8 at 12:49












  • 1





    The median calculation could take a long time (needs sorting of the array). Can you maybe replace it with the mean?

    – Trilarion
    Mar 8 at 12:29











  • @Trilarion it will provide worse results. I am not sure how big is the difference between mean and median for all of the images that I have. I tested it and there is almost no time difference between mean and median in this case.

    – wdudzik
    Mar 8 at 12:34







  • 1





    Microoptimization: replace image = image * 96.0 / image_median with image = image * (96.0 / image_median).

    – Warren Weckesser
    Mar 8 at 12:49







1




1





The median calculation could take a long time (needs sorting of the array). Can you maybe replace it with the mean?

– Trilarion
Mar 8 at 12:29





The median calculation could take a long time (needs sorting of the array). Can you maybe replace it with the mean?

– Trilarion
Mar 8 at 12:29













@Trilarion it will provide worse results. I am not sure how big is the difference between mean and median for all of the images that I have. I tested it and there is almost no time difference between mean and median in this case.

– wdudzik
Mar 8 at 12:34






@Trilarion it will provide worse results. I am not sure how big is the difference between mean and median for all of the images that I have. I tested it and there is almost no time difference between mean and median in this case.

– wdudzik
Mar 8 at 12:34





1




1





Microoptimization: replace image = image * 96.0 / image_median with image = image * (96.0 / image_median).

– Warren Weckesser
Mar 8 at 12:49





Microoptimization: replace image = image * 96.0 / image_median with image = image * (96.0 / image_median).

– Warren Weckesser
Mar 8 at 12:49












1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















1














There is not much you can do quickly here.



You already use NumPy in a vectorized manner, so internally C code is executed that probably is already quite optimized.



The calculation of the median can take much longer than calculating the mean (because sorting is involved). Consider replacing it.



Adding some parentheses should save a division of the array



image = image * (96.0 / image_median)


because between operators of equal precedence Python goes from left to right.






share|improve this answer























    Your Answer






    StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
    StackExchange.snippets.init();
    );
    );
    , "code-snippets");

    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "1"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55063209%2ffaster-normalization-of-image-numpy-array%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    1














    There is not much you can do quickly here.



    You already use NumPy in a vectorized manner, so internally C code is executed that probably is already quite optimized.



    The calculation of the median can take much longer than calculating the mean (because sorting is involved). Consider replacing it.



    Adding some parentheses should save a division of the array



    image = image * (96.0 / image_median)


    because between operators of equal precedence Python goes from left to right.






    share|improve this answer



























      1














      There is not much you can do quickly here.



      You already use NumPy in a vectorized manner, so internally C code is executed that probably is already quite optimized.



      The calculation of the median can take much longer than calculating the mean (because sorting is involved). Consider replacing it.



      Adding some parentheses should save a division of the array



      image = image * (96.0 / image_median)


      because between operators of equal precedence Python goes from left to right.






      share|improve this answer

























        1












        1








        1







        There is not much you can do quickly here.



        You already use NumPy in a vectorized manner, so internally C code is executed that probably is already quite optimized.



        The calculation of the median can take much longer than calculating the mean (because sorting is involved). Consider replacing it.



        Adding some parentheses should save a division of the array



        image = image * (96.0 / image_median)


        because between operators of equal precedence Python goes from left to right.






        share|improve this answer













        There is not much you can do quickly here.



        You already use NumPy in a vectorized manner, so internally C code is executed that probably is already quite optimized.



        The calculation of the median can take much longer than calculating the mean (because sorting is involved). Consider replacing it.



        Adding some parentheses should save a division of the array



        image = image * (96.0 / image_median)


        because between operators of equal precedence Python goes from left to right.







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Mar 8 at 12:50









        TrilarionTrilarion

        6,84054179




        6,84054179





























            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55063209%2ffaster-normalization-of-image-numpy-array%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

            Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices

            How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page