Multiprocessing with nested loops and some numpy function callsCalling a function of a module by using its name (a string)What's the best way to break from nested (for) loops?Is there a NumPy function to return the first index of something in an array?Breaking out of nested loopsDynamic processes in PythonHow do I break out of nested loops in Java?Calling remove in foreach loop in Javapython multiprocessing vs threading for cpu bound work on windows and linuxUse numpy array in shared memory for multiprocessingWhat is the difference between flatten and ravel functions in numpy?

Output visual diagram of picture

Why didn’t Eve recognize the little cockroach as a living organism?

Derivative of an interpolated function

Capacitor electron flow

Do native speakers use "ultima" and "proxima" frequently in spoken English?

Why doesn't Gödel's incompleteness theorem apply to false statements?

Why do Radio Buttons not fill the entire outer circle?

Did I make a mistake by ccing email to boss to others?

Why is indicated airspeed rather than ground speed used during the takeoff roll?

Showing mass murder in a kid's book

Can a Knock spell open the door to Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion?

Center page as a whole without centering each element individually

Turning a hard to access nut?

Non-Borel set in arbitrary metric space

Would a primitive species be able to learn English from reading books alone?

Asserting that Atheism and Theism are both faith based positions

How to split IPA spelling into syllables

How do you justify more code being written by following clean code practices?

Mortal danger in mid-grade literature

What is the tangent at a sharp point on a curve?

Should I be concerned about student access to a test bank?

Trouble reading roman numeral notation with flats

What is the purpose of using a decision tree?

What should be the ideal length of sentences in a blog post for ease of reading?



Multiprocessing with nested loops and some numpy function calls


Calling a function of a module by using its name (a string)What's the best way to break from nested (for) loops?Is there a NumPy function to return the first index of something in an array?Breaking out of nested loopsDynamic processes in PythonHow do I break out of nested loops in Java?Calling remove in foreach loop in Javapython multiprocessing vs threading for cpu bound work on windows and linuxUse numpy array in shared memory for multiprocessingWhat is the difference between flatten and ravel functions in numpy?













1















I have read some coding examples about multiprocessing and am stil quite confused about it. Here is my contrived example:



import numpy as np

def data_processing(x,y,z): return np.array([x,y])*(z**0.5)

def foo(n1,n2):

final_result =

for i in range(n1):
result = np.zeros([n2,n2])

for j1 in range(n2):
for j2 in range(j1):
temp= data_processing(j1,j2,i)
result[j1,j2] = np.prod(temp)

final_result[str(i)] = result

return final_result

if __name__ == '__main__':
X = foo(9,9)


If I want to run this piece of code while utilizing all of the cpu cores, what should I change? Thank you in advance










share|improve this question


























    1















    I have read some coding examples about multiprocessing and am stil quite confused about it. Here is my contrived example:



    import numpy as np

    def data_processing(x,y,z): return np.array([x,y])*(z**0.5)

    def foo(n1,n2):

    final_result =

    for i in range(n1):
    result = np.zeros([n2,n2])

    for j1 in range(n2):
    for j2 in range(j1):
    temp= data_processing(j1,j2,i)
    result[j1,j2] = np.prod(temp)

    final_result[str(i)] = result

    return final_result

    if __name__ == '__main__':
    X = foo(9,9)


    If I want to run this piece of code while utilizing all of the cpu cores, what should I change? Thank you in advance










    share|improve this question
























      1












      1








      1








      I have read some coding examples about multiprocessing and am stil quite confused about it. Here is my contrived example:



      import numpy as np

      def data_processing(x,y,z): return np.array([x,y])*(z**0.5)

      def foo(n1,n2):

      final_result =

      for i in range(n1):
      result = np.zeros([n2,n2])

      for j1 in range(n2):
      for j2 in range(j1):
      temp= data_processing(j1,j2,i)
      result[j1,j2] = np.prod(temp)

      final_result[str(i)] = result

      return final_result

      if __name__ == '__main__':
      X = foo(9,9)


      If I want to run this piece of code while utilizing all of the cpu cores, what should I change? Thank you in advance










      share|improve this question














      I have read some coding examples about multiprocessing and am stil quite confused about it. Here is my contrived example:



      import numpy as np

      def data_processing(x,y,z): return np.array([x,y])*(z**0.5)

      def foo(n1,n2):

      final_result =

      for i in range(n1):
      result = np.zeros([n2,n2])

      for j1 in range(n2):
      for j2 in range(j1):
      temp= data_processing(j1,j2,i)
      result[j1,j2] = np.prod(temp)

      final_result[str(i)] = result

      return final_result

      if __name__ == '__main__':
      X = foo(9,9)


      If I want to run this piece of code while utilizing all of the cpu cores, what should I change? Thank you in advance







      python loops numpy multiprocessing nested-loops






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Mar 7 at 20:33









      mathguymathguy

      1197




      1197






















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          1














          Maby this can help.



          import multiprocessing
          import numpy as np
          import time
          import multiprocessing


          def data_processing(x, y, z): return np.array([x, y]) * (z ** 0.5)


          def foo(n1, n2, id=0, return_dict=[None]):
          final_result =

          for i in range(n1):
          result = np.zeros([n2, n2])

          for j1 in range(n2):
          for j2 in range(j1):
          temp = data_processing(j1, j2, i)
          result[j1, j2] = np.prod(temp)

          final_result[str(i)] = result

          return_dict[id] = final_result



          stamp = time.time()
          def pint(num):
          print(f'*Test [num] - seconds: time.time() - stamp')

          for i in range(10):
          foo(90, 90)
          pint(0)

          stamp = time.time()

          manager = multiprocessing.Manager()
          return_dict = manager.dict()
          processes = []

          for i in range(10):
          p = multiprocessing.Process(target=foo, args=(90, 90, i, return_dict))
          processes.append(p)
          p.start()

          for p in processes:
          p.join()
          x0, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, x7, x8, x9 = return_dict.values()
          pint(1)


          My output is:



          *Test [0] - seconds: 26.120166301727295
          *Test [1] - seconds: 8.343111753463745

          Process finished with exit code 0





          share|improve this answer

























          • appreciate any input to this. I am wondering can the same logic apply to my version of foo function? I am asking this because the part I want to run multiprocessing on also contains some numpy functions call.

            – mathguy
            Mar 7 at 21:20











          • I edited my post. Did I understand right?? But it only makes sence with big operations so i have done it with really high values. Hope I could help (-;

            – apatrck00
            Mar 8 at 18:31










          Your Answer






          StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
          StackExchange.snippets.init();
          );
          );
          , "code-snippets");

          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "1"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55052363%2fmultiprocessing-with-nested-loops-and-some-numpy-function-calls%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes









          1














          Maby this can help.



          import multiprocessing
          import numpy as np
          import time
          import multiprocessing


          def data_processing(x, y, z): return np.array([x, y]) * (z ** 0.5)


          def foo(n1, n2, id=0, return_dict=[None]):
          final_result =

          for i in range(n1):
          result = np.zeros([n2, n2])

          for j1 in range(n2):
          for j2 in range(j1):
          temp = data_processing(j1, j2, i)
          result[j1, j2] = np.prod(temp)

          final_result[str(i)] = result

          return_dict[id] = final_result



          stamp = time.time()
          def pint(num):
          print(f'*Test [num] - seconds: time.time() - stamp')

          for i in range(10):
          foo(90, 90)
          pint(0)

          stamp = time.time()

          manager = multiprocessing.Manager()
          return_dict = manager.dict()
          processes = []

          for i in range(10):
          p = multiprocessing.Process(target=foo, args=(90, 90, i, return_dict))
          processes.append(p)
          p.start()

          for p in processes:
          p.join()
          x0, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, x7, x8, x9 = return_dict.values()
          pint(1)


          My output is:



          *Test [0] - seconds: 26.120166301727295
          *Test [1] - seconds: 8.343111753463745

          Process finished with exit code 0





          share|improve this answer

























          • appreciate any input to this. I am wondering can the same logic apply to my version of foo function? I am asking this because the part I want to run multiprocessing on also contains some numpy functions call.

            – mathguy
            Mar 7 at 21:20











          • I edited my post. Did I understand right?? But it only makes sence with big operations so i have done it with really high values. Hope I could help (-;

            – apatrck00
            Mar 8 at 18:31















          1














          Maby this can help.



          import multiprocessing
          import numpy as np
          import time
          import multiprocessing


          def data_processing(x, y, z): return np.array([x, y]) * (z ** 0.5)


          def foo(n1, n2, id=0, return_dict=[None]):
          final_result =

          for i in range(n1):
          result = np.zeros([n2, n2])

          for j1 in range(n2):
          for j2 in range(j1):
          temp = data_processing(j1, j2, i)
          result[j1, j2] = np.prod(temp)

          final_result[str(i)] = result

          return_dict[id] = final_result



          stamp = time.time()
          def pint(num):
          print(f'*Test [num] - seconds: time.time() - stamp')

          for i in range(10):
          foo(90, 90)
          pint(0)

          stamp = time.time()

          manager = multiprocessing.Manager()
          return_dict = manager.dict()
          processes = []

          for i in range(10):
          p = multiprocessing.Process(target=foo, args=(90, 90, i, return_dict))
          processes.append(p)
          p.start()

          for p in processes:
          p.join()
          x0, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, x7, x8, x9 = return_dict.values()
          pint(1)


          My output is:



          *Test [0] - seconds: 26.120166301727295
          *Test [1] - seconds: 8.343111753463745

          Process finished with exit code 0





          share|improve this answer

























          • appreciate any input to this. I am wondering can the same logic apply to my version of foo function? I am asking this because the part I want to run multiprocessing on also contains some numpy functions call.

            – mathguy
            Mar 7 at 21:20











          • I edited my post. Did I understand right?? But it only makes sence with big operations so i have done it with really high values. Hope I could help (-;

            – apatrck00
            Mar 8 at 18:31













          1












          1








          1







          Maby this can help.



          import multiprocessing
          import numpy as np
          import time
          import multiprocessing


          def data_processing(x, y, z): return np.array([x, y]) * (z ** 0.5)


          def foo(n1, n2, id=0, return_dict=[None]):
          final_result =

          for i in range(n1):
          result = np.zeros([n2, n2])

          for j1 in range(n2):
          for j2 in range(j1):
          temp = data_processing(j1, j2, i)
          result[j1, j2] = np.prod(temp)

          final_result[str(i)] = result

          return_dict[id] = final_result



          stamp = time.time()
          def pint(num):
          print(f'*Test [num] - seconds: time.time() - stamp')

          for i in range(10):
          foo(90, 90)
          pint(0)

          stamp = time.time()

          manager = multiprocessing.Manager()
          return_dict = manager.dict()
          processes = []

          for i in range(10):
          p = multiprocessing.Process(target=foo, args=(90, 90, i, return_dict))
          processes.append(p)
          p.start()

          for p in processes:
          p.join()
          x0, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, x7, x8, x9 = return_dict.values()
          pint(1)


          My output is:



          *Test [0] - seconds: 26.120166301727295
          *Test [1] - seconds: 8.343111753463745

          Process finished with exit code 0





          share|improve this answer















          Maby this can help.



          import multiprocessing
          import numpy as np
          import time
          import multiprocessing


          def data_processing(x, y, z): return np.array([x, y]) * (z ** 0.5)


          def foo(n1, n2, id=0, return_dict=[None]):
          final_result =

          for i in range(n1):
          result = np.zeros([n2, n2])

          for j1 in range(n2):
          for j2 in range(j1):
          temp = data_processing(j1, j2, i)
          result[j1, j2] = np.prod(temp)

          final_result[str(i)] = result

          return_dict[id] = final_result



          stamp = time.time()
          def pint(num):
          print(f'*Test [num] - seconds: time.time() - stamp')

          for i in range(10):
          foo(90, 90)
          pint(0)

          stamp = time.time()

          manager = multiprocessing.Manager()
          return_dict = manager.dict()
          processes = []

          for i in range(10):
          p = multiprocessing.Process(target=foo, args=(90, 90, i, return_dict))
          processes.append(p)
          p.start()

          for p in processes:
          p.join()
          x0, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, x7, x8, x9 = return_dict.values()
          pint(1)


          My output is:



          *Test [0] - seconds: 26.120166301727295
          *Test [1] - seconds: 8.343111753463745

          Process finished with exit code 0






          share|improve this answer














          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer








          edited Mar 8 at 18:30

























          answered Mar 7 at 20:55









          apatrck00apatrck00

          113




          113












          • appreciate any input to this. I am wondering can the same logic apply to my version of foo function? I am asking this because the part I want to run multiprocessing on also contains some numpy functions call.

            – mathguy
            Mar 7 at 21:20











          • I edited my post. Did I understand right?? But it only makes sence with big operations so i have done it with really high values. Hope I could help (-;

            – apatrck00
            Mar 8 at 18:31

















          • appreciate any input to this. I am wondering can the same logic apply to my version of foo function? I am asking this because the part I want to run multiprocessing on also contains some numpy functions call.

            – mathguy
            Mar 7 at 21:20











          • I edited my post. Did I understand right?? But it only makes sence with big operations so i have done it with really high values. Hope I could help (-;

            – apatrck00
            Mar 8 at 18:31
















          appreciate any input to this. I am wondering can the same logic apply to my version of foo function? I am asking this because the part I want to run multiprocessing on also contains some numpy functions call.

          – mathguy
          Mar 7 at 21:20





          appreciate any input to this. I am wondering can the same logic apply to my version of foo function? I am asking this because the part I want to run multiprocessing on also contains some numpy functions call.

          – mathguy
          Mar 7 at 21:20













          I edited my post. Did I understand right?? But it only makes sence with big operations so i have done it with really high values. Hope I could help (-;

          – apatrck00
          Mar 8 at 18:31





          I edited my post. Did I understand right?? But it only makes sence with big operations so i have done it with really high values. Hope I could help (-;

          – apatrck00
          Mar 8 at 18:31



















          draft saved

          draft discarded
















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55052363%2fmultiprocessing-with-nested-loops-and-some-numpy-function-calls%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

          Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices

          How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page