Promise Chaining and .then/.catch statementsHow does promise.all work?jQuery deferreds and promises - .then() vs .done()How do I convert an existing callback API to promises?Aren't promises just callbacks?What is the explicit promise construction antipattern and how do I avoid it?Handling multiple catches in promise chainHow do I tell if an object is a Promise?How do I access previous promise results in a .then() chain?Wait until all ES6 promises complete, even rejected promisesWhat is the difference between Promises and Observables?Catch in Promises

On a tidally locked planet, would time be quantized?

Longest common substring in linear time

Are the IPv6 address space and IPv4 address space completely disjoint?

What is this called? Old film camera viewer?

Drawing ramified coverings with tikz

If a character has darkvision, can they see through an area of nonmagical darkness filled with lightly obscuring gas?

Delivering sarcasm

What is Cash Advance APR?

Biological Blimps: Propulsion

Freedom of speech and where it applies

Travelling outside the UK without a passport

Is there a working SACD iso player for Ubuntu?

A social experiment. What is the worst that can happen?

Is it safe to use olive oil to clean the ear wax?

Why Shazam when there is already Superman?

How can Trident be so inexpensive? Will it orbit Triton or just do a (slow) flyby?

Is it possible to put a rectangle as background in the author section?

Closed-form expression for certain product

Why does the Sun have different day lengths, but not the gas giants?

Non-trope happy ending?

How to bake one texture for one mesh with multiple textures blender 2.8

Not using 's' for he/she/it

Electoral considerations aside, what are potential benefits, for the US, of policy changes proposed by the tweet recognizing Golan annexation?

Aragorn's "guise" in the Orthanc Stone



Promise Chaining and .then/.catch statements


How does promise.all work?jQuery deferreds and promises - .then() vs .done()How do I convert an existing callback API to promises?Aren't promises just callbacks?What is the explicit promise construction antipattern and how do I avoid it?Handling multiple catches in promise chainHow do I tell if an object is a Promise?How do I access previous promise results in a .then() chain?Wait until all ES6 promises complete, even rejected promisesWhat is the difference between Promises and Observables?Catch in Promises













1















The following code is taken from the last task of https://javascript.info/promise-api.



When I run the following, I am unable to get the output to match the alerts that the comments indicate. I assume that I am missing somethign with the catch statements, but I do not understand where I am going wrong. I appreciate any help!



// the whole promise chain fails with an error here
// change that:
// make errors appear as members of the results array

let urls = [
'https://api.github.com/users/iliakan',
// this URL is HTML page, it's invalid JSON, so response.json() fails
'/',
// this URL is invalid, so fetch fails
'http://no-such-url'
];

// Fix it:
Promise.all(urls.map(url => fetch(url).catch(err=>err)))
.then(responses => Promise.all(
responses.map(r => r.json().catch(err=>err))
))
// Demo output (no need to change):
.then(results =>
alert(results[0].name); // Ilya Kantor
alert(results[1]); // SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0
alert(results[2]); // TypeError: failed to fetch (text may vary)
);











share|improve this question






















  • Possible duplicate of How does promise.all work?

    – Steven Stark
    Mar 8 at 4:54











  • are you getting any error?

    – binariedMe
    Mar 8 at 4:54











  • I am not getting any error, but no output is showing at all

    – Trebond
    Mar 8 at 6:52
















1















The following code is taken from the last task of https://javascript.info/promise-api.



When I run the following, I am unable to get the output to match the alerts that the comments indicate. I assume that I am missing somethign with the catch statements, but I do not understand where I am going wrong. I appreciate any help!



// the whole promise chain fails with an error here
// change that:
// make errors appear as members of the results array

let urls = [
'https://api.github.com/users/iliakan',
// this URL is HTML page, it's invalid JSON, so response.json() fails
'/',
// this URL is invalid, so fetch fails
'http://no-such-url'
];

// Fix it:
Promise.all(urls.map(url => fetch(url).catch(err=>err)))
.then(responses => Promise.all(
responses.map(r => r.json().catch(err=>err))
))
// Demo output (no need to change):
.then(results =>
alert(results[0].name); // Ilya Kantor
alert(results[1]); // SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0
alert(results[2]); // TypeError: failed to fetch (text may vary)
);











share|improve this question






















  • Possible duplicate of How does promise.all work?

    – Steven Stark
    Mar 8 at 4:54











  • are you getting any error?

    – binariedMe
    Mar 8 at 4:54











  • I am not getting any error, but no output is showing at all

    – Trebond
    Mar 8 at 6:52














1












1








1








The following code is taken from the last task of https://javascript.info/promise-api.



When I run the following, I am unable to get the output to match the alerts that the comments indicate. I assume that I am missing somethign with the catch statements, but I do not understand where I am going wrong. I appreciate any help!



// the whole promise chain fails with an error here
// change that:
// make errors appear as members of the results array

let urls = [
'https://api.github.com/users/iliakan',
// this URL is HTML page, it's invalid JSON, so response.json() fails
'/',
// this URL is invalid, so fetch fails
'http://no-such-url'
];

// Fix it:
Promise.all(urls.map(url => fetch(url).catch(err=>err)))
.then(responses => Promise.all(
responses.map(r => r.json().catch(err=>err))
))
// Demo output (no need to change):
.then(results =>
alert(results[0].name); // Ilya Kantor
alert(results[1]); // SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0
alert(results[2]); // TypeError: failed to fetch (text may vary)
);











share|improve this question














The following code is taken from the last task of https://javascript.info/promise-api.



When I run the following, I am unable to get the output to match the alerts that the comments indicate. I assume that I am missing somethign with the catch statements, but I do not understand where I am going wrong. I appreciate any help!



// the whole promise chain fails with an error here
// change that:
// make errors appear as members of the results array

let urls = [
'https://api.github.com/users/iliakan',
// this URL is HTML page, it's invalid JSON, so response.json() fails
'/',
// this URL is invalid, so fetch fails
'http://no-such-url'
];

// Fix it:
Promise.all(urls.map(url => fetch(url).catch(err=>err)))
.then(responses => Promise.all(
responses.map(r => r.json().catch(err=>err))
))
// Demo output (no need to change):
.then(results =>
alert(results[0].name); // Ilya Kantor
alert(results[1]); // SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0
alert(results[2]); // TypeError: failed to fetch (text may vary)
);








javascript asynchronous promise es6-promise






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Mar 8 at 4:45









TrebondTrebond

424




424












  • Possible duplicate of How does promise.all work?

    – Steven Stark
    Mar 8 at 4:54











  • are you getting any error?

    – binariedMe
    Mar 8 at 4:54











  • I am not getting any error, but no output is showing at all

    – Trebond
    Mar 8 at 6:52


















  • Possible duplicate of How does promise.all work?

    – Steven Stark
    Mar 8 at 4:54











  • are you getting any error?

    – binariedMe
    Mar 8 at 4:54











  • I am not getting any error, but no output is showing at all

    – Trebond
    Mar 8 at 6:52

















Possible duplicate of How does promise.all work?

– Steven Stark
Mar 8 at 4:54





Possible duplicate of How does promise.all work?

– Steven Stark
Mar 8 at 4:54













are you getting any error?

– binariedMe
Mar 8 at 4:54





are you getting any error?

– binariedMe
Mar 8 at 4:54













I am not getting any error, but no output is showing at all

– Trebond
Mar 8 at 6:52






I am not getting any error, but no output is showing at all

– Trebond
Mar 8 at 6:52













2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes


















2














You do get an error from your code. In Firefox, for example, it will say TypeError: r.json is not a function in the developer console. (I see you're using alert() so you might not be familiar with the developer console and console.log() available in browsers. If this is so, I'd suggest looking in to them as the information they provide can be invaluable.)



The problem is that, in r.json(), r is either a response object or an exception object due to the earlier, first .catch(err=>err). Since exception objects do not have a json property, it throws its own exception. That exception isn't caught because there's no try/catch for it and .catch() is only useable on promises.



You could do something like this to check for and pass along an initial exception:



responses.map(r => r.json ? r.json().catch(err=>err) : r)





share|improve this answer

























  • That makes sense, and thank you for clarifying my thoughts! I knew that it had something to do with the fact that the first .catch() statement treated exceptions like a regular object, but .json() would not know how to handle them. However, I was somewhat off the mark, because I was not sure what behavior it would exhibit exactly. Thank you for your insight @Ouroborus!

    – Trebond
    Mar 8 at 8:07


















0














The reason that this doesn't work is because in the first .catch(err=>err) statement, it is treating errors like a standard (successful) result. Then, any faulty data from fetch is called into the next Promise.all statement as it is treated as a good result, and thus r.json() will not know what to do with any faulty data (which is from fetch('/').






share|improve this answer






















    Your Answer






    StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
    StackExchange.snippets.init();
    );
    );
    , "code-snippets");

    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "1"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55056875%2fpromise-chaining-and-then-catch-statements%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    2 Answers
    2






    active

    oldest

    votes








    2 Answers
    2






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    2














    You do get an error from your code. In Firefox, for example, it will say TypeError: r.json is not a function in the developer console. (I see you're using alert() so you might not be familiar with the developer console and console.log() available in browsers. If this is so, I'd suggest looking in to them as the information they provide can be invaluable.)



    The problem is that, in r.json(), r is either a response object or an exception object due to the earlier, first .catch(err=>err). Since exception objects do not have a json property, it throws its own exception. That exception isn't caught because there's no try/catch for it and .catch() is only useable on promises.



    You could do something like this to check for and pass along an initial exception:



    responses.map(r => r.json ? r.json().catch(err=>err) : r)





    share|improve this answer

























    • That makes sense, and thank you for clarifying my thoughts! I knew that it had something to do with the fact that the first .catch() statement treated exceptions like a regular object, but .json() would not know how to handle them. However, I was somewhat off the mark, because I was not sure what behavior it would exhibit exactly. Thank you for your insight @Ouroborus!

      – Trebond
      Mar 8 at 8:07















    2














    You do get an error from your code. In Firefox, for example, it will say TypeError: r.json is not a function in the developer console. (I see you're using alert() so you might not be familiar with the developer console and console.log() available in browsers. If this is so, I'd suggest looking in to them as the information they provide can be invaluable.)



    The problem is that, in r.json(), r is either a response object or an exception object due to the earlier, first .catch(err=>err). Since exception objects do not have a json property, it throws its own exception. That exception isn't caught because there's no try/catch for it and .catch() is only useable on promises.



    You could do something like this to check for and pass along an initial exception:



    responses.map(r => r.json ? r.json().catch(err=>err) : r)





    share|improve this answer

























    • That makes sense, and thank you for clarifying my thoughts! I knew that it had something to do with the fact that the first .catch() statement treated exceptions like a regular object, but .json() would not know how to handle them. However, I was somewhat off the mark, because I was not sure what behavior it would exhibit exactly. Thank you for your insight @Ouroborus!

      – Trebond
      Mar 8 at 8:07













    2












    2








    2







    You do get an error from your code. In Firefox, for example, it will say TypeError: r.json is not a function in the developer console. (I see you're using alert() so you might not be familiar with the developer console and console.log() available in browsers. If this is so, I'd suggest looking in to them as the information they provide can be invaluable.)



    The problem is that, in r.json(), r is either a response object or an exception object due to the earlier, first .catch(err=>err). Since exception objects do not have a json property, it throws its own exception. That exception isn't caught because there's no try/catch for it and .catch() is only useable on promises.



    You could do something like this to check for and pass along an initial exception:



    responses.map(r => r.json ? r.json().catch(err=>err) : r)





    share|improve this answer















    You do get an error from your code. In Firefox, for example, it will say TypeError: r.json is not a function in the developer console. (I see you're using alert() so you might not be familiar with the developer console and console.log() available in browsers. If this is so, I'd suggest looking in to them as the information they provide can be invaluable.)



    The problem is that, in r.json(), r is either a response object or an exception object due to the earlier, first .catch(err=>err). Since exception objects do not have a json property, it throws its own exception. That exception isn't caught because there's no try/catch for it and .catch() is only useable on promises.



    You could do something like this to check for and pass along an initial exception:



    responses.map(r => r.json ? r.json().catch(err=>err) : r)






    share|improve this answer














    share|improve this answer



    share|improve this answer








    edited Mar 8 at 8:09

























    answered Mar 8 at 7:40









    OuroborusOuroborus

    7,1861638




    7,1861638












    • That makes sense, and thank you for clarifying my thoughts! I knew that it had something to do with the fact that the first .catch() statement treated exceptions like a regular object, but .json() would not know how to handle them. However, I was somewhat off the mark, because I was not sure what behavior it would exhibit exactly. Thank you for your insight @Ouroborus!

      – Trebond
      Mar 8 at 8:07

















    • That makes sense, and thank you for clarifying my thoughts! I knew that it had something to do with the fact that the first .catch() statement treated exceptions like a regular object, but .json() would not know how to handle them. However, I was somewhat off the mark, because I was not sure what behavior it would exhibit exactly. Thank you for your insight @Ouroborus!

      – Trebond
      Mar 8 at 8:07
















    That makes sense, and thank you for clarifying my thoughts! I knew that it had something to do with the fact that the first .catch() statement treated exceptions like a regular object, but .json() would not know how to handle them. However, I was somewhat off the mark, because I was not sure what behavior it would exhibit exactly. Thank you for your insight @Ouroborus!

    – Trebond
    Mar 8 at 8:07





    That makes sense, and thank you for clarifying my thoughts! I knew that it had something to do with the fact that the first .catch() statement treated exceptions like a regular object, but .json() would not know how to handle them. However, I was somewhat off the mark, because I was not sure what behavior it would exhibit exactly. Thank you for your insight @Ouroborus!

    – Trebond
    Mar 8 at 8:07













    0














    The reason that this doesn't work is because in the first .catch(err=>err) statement, it is treating errors like a standard (successful) result. Then, any faulty data from fetch is called into the next Promise.all statement as it is treated as a good result, and thus r.json() will not know what to do with any faulty data (which is from fetch('/').






    share|improve this answer



























      0














      The reason that this doesn't work is because in the first .catch(err=>err) statement, it is treating errors like a standard (successful) result. Then, any faulty data from fetch is called into the next Promise.all statement as it is treated as a good result, and thus r.json() will not know what to do with any faulty data (which is from fetch('/').






      share|improve this answer

























        0












        0








        0







        The reason that this doesn't work is because in the first .catch(err=>err) statement, it is treating errors like a standard (successful) result. Then, any faulty data from fetch is called into the next Promise.all statement as it is treated as a good result, and thus r.json() will not know what to do with any faulty data (which is from fetch('/').






        share|improve this answer













        The reason that this doesn't work is because in the first .catch(err=>err) statement, it is treating errors like a standard (successful) result. Then, any faulty data from fetch is called into the next Promise.all statement as it is treated as a good result, and thus r.json() will not know what to do with any faulty data (which is from fetch('/').







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Mar 8 at 7:22









        TrebondTrebond

        424




        424



























            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55056875%2fpromise-chaining-and-then-catch-statements%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

            How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page

            Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices