Powershell script as a Topshelf/Windows service The Next CEO of Stack OverflowTopshelf window service giving Error 1053 when try to start the serviceHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How can you find out which process is listening on a port on Windows?Is there an equivalent of 'which' on the Windows command line?Setting Windows PowerShell path variableDetermine installed PowerShell versionTerminating a script in PowerShellHow to run a PowerShell scriptPowerShell says “execution of scripts is disabled on this system.”How do I install pip on Windows?How do you comment out code in PowerShell?

Do scriptures give a method to recognize a truly self-realized person/jivanmukta?

Vector calculus integration identity problem

Reshaping json / reparing json inside shell script (remove trailing comma)

If Nick Fury and Coulson already knew about aliens (Kree and Skrull) why did they wait until Thor's appearance to start making weapons?

Strange use of "whether ... than ..." in official text

Aggressive Under-Indexing and no data for missing index

Won the lottery - how do I keep the money?

Is Nisuin Biblical or Rabbinic?

Do I need to write [sic] when including a quotation with a number less than 10 that isn't written out?

What is the process for purifying your home if you believe it may have been previously used for pagan worship?

Man transported from Alternate World into ours by a Neutrino Detector

What flight has the highest ratio of timezone difference to flight time?

Can you teleport closer to a creature you are Frightened of?

how one can write a nice vector parser, something that does pgfvecparseA=B-C; D=E x F;

Defamation due to breach of confidentiality

Is a distribution that is normal, but highly skewed, considered Gaussian?

Film where the government was corrupt with aliens, people sent to kill aliens are given rigged visors not showing the right aliens

Expressing the idea of having a very busy time

What would be the main consequences for a country leaving the WTO?

Does Germany produce more waste than the US?

What does "shotgun unity" refer to here in this sentence?

Why am I getting "Static method cannot be referenced from a non static context: String String.valueOf(Object)"?

Is it convenient to ask the journal's editor for two additional days to complete a review?

Where do students learn to solve polynomial equations these days?



Powershell script as a Topshelf/Windows service



The Next CEO of Stack OverflowTopshelf window service giving Error 1053 when try to start the serviceHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How can you find out which process is listening on a port on Windows?Is there an equivalent of 'which' on the Windows command line?Setting Windows PowerShell path variableDetermine installed PowerShell versionTerminating a script in PowerShellHow to run a PowerShell scriptPowerShell says “execution of scripts is disabled on this system.”How do I install pip on Windows?How do you comment out code in PowerShell?










0















I'd like to get notified when a specific pattern occurs in some text file so I wrote a simple PowerShell script:



Get-Content 'C:\testfile.txt' -Wait -Tail 50 | Select-String -Pattern 'Sample pattern'


I'd rather run it as a topshelf service. I've already produced the following code:



public class MyService

private string doWork;

public string Path

get

return @"C:\testfile.txt";



public void Start()

while (this.doWork)

var script = $"Get-Content 'Path' -Wait -Tail 50


public void Stop()

this.doWork = false;





public class Program

static void Main(string[] args)

var rc = HostFactory.Run(
x =>

x.Service<MyService>(
s =>

s.ConstructUsing(name => new MyService());
s.WhenStarted(tc => tc.Start());
s.WhenStopped(tc => tc.Stop());
);
x.RunAsLocalSystem();
x.StartAutomatically();
x.SetDescription("Sample Topshelf Host");
x.SetDisplayName("Sample display name");
x.SetServiceName("Sample service name");
);

var exitCode = (int)Convert.ChangeType(rc, rc.GetTypeCode());
Environment.ExitCode = exitCode;




The solutions builds fine.I ran it in a debug mode, but for some reason I don't see the expected output on the console so I assume that there is some problem which I tried to figure out myself but without effect.
Is there any way to make this program working as expected? If anyone could provide some guidance or even proper solution I'd be grateful.










share|improve this question
























  • PowerShell.Streams has more than just Error. Try checking and writing to the console for all the streams (Debug, Error, Information, Progress, Verbose, and Warning).

    – Lews Therin
    Mar 8 at 17:46











  • FYI this will fail if you deploy it as a service, as the Service Control Manager will see that Start hasn't returned, and assume the service has failed to install, See this question or for more detail this issue

    – stuartd
    Mar 8 at 17:48















0















I'd like to get notified when a specific pattern occurs in some text file so I wrote a simple PowerShell script:



Get-Content 'C:\testfile.txt' -Wait -Tail 50 | Select-String -Pattern 'Sample pattern'


I'd rather run it as a topshelf service. I've already produced the following code:



public class MyService

private string doWork;

public string Path

get

return @"C:\testfile.txt";



public void Start()

while (this.doWork)

var script = $"Get-Content 'Path' -Wait -Tail 50


public void Stop()

this.doWork = false;





public class Program

static void Main(string[] args)

var rc = HostFactory.Run(
x =>

x.Service<MyService>(
s =>

s.ConstructUsing(name => new MyService());
s.WhenStarted(tc => tc.Start());
s.WhenStopped(tc => tc.Stop());
);
x.RunAsLocalSystem();
x.StartAutomatically();
x.SetDescription("Sample Topshelf Host");
x.SetDisplayName("Sample display name");
x.SetServiceName("Sample service name");
);

var exitCode = (int)Convert.ChangeType(rc, rc.GetTypeCode());
Environment.ExitCode = exitCode;




The solutions builds fine.I ran it in a debug mode, but for some reason I don't see the expected output on the console so I assume that there is some problem which I tried to figure out myself but without effect.
Is there any way to make this program working as expected? If anyone could provide some guidance or even proper solution I'd be grateful.










share|improve this question
























  • PowerShell.Streams has more than just Error. Try checking and writing to the console for all the streams (Debug, Error, Information, Progress, Verbose, and Warning).

    – Lews Therin
    Mar 8 at 17:46











  • FYI this will fail if you deploy it as a service, as the Service Control Manager will see that Start hasn't returned, and assume the service has failed to install, See this question or for more detail this issue

    – stuartd
    Mar 8 at 17:48













0












0








0








I'd like to get notified when a specific pattern occurs in some text file so I wrote a simple PowerShell script:



Get-Content 'C:\testfile.txt' -Wait -Tail 50 | Select-String -Pattern 'Sample pattern'


I'd rather run it as a topshelf service. I've already produced the following code:



public class MyService

private string doWork;

public string Path

get

return @"C:\testfile.txt";



public void Start()

while (this.doWork)

var script = $"Get-Content 'Path' -Wait -Tail 50


public void Stop()

this.doWork = false;





public class Program

static void Main(string[] args)

var rc = HostFactory.Run(
x =>

x.Service<MyService>(
s =>

s.ConstructUsing(name => new MyService());
s.WhenStarted(tc => tc.Start());
s.WhenStopped(tc => tc.Stop());
);
x.RunAsLocalSystem();
x.StartAutomatically();
x.SetDescription("Sample Topshelf Host");
x.SetDisplayName("Sample display name");
x.SetServiceName("Sample service name");
);

var exitCode = (int)Convert.ChangeType(rc, rc.GetTypeCode());
Environment.ExitCode = exitCode;




The solutions builds fine.I ran it in a debug mode, but for some reason I don't see the expected output on the console so I assume that there is some problem which I tried to figure out myself but without effect.
Is there any way to make this program working as expected? If anyone could provide some guidance or even proper solution I'd be grateful.










share|improve this question
















I'd like to get notified when a specific pattern occurs in some text file so I wrote a simple PowerShell script:



Get-Content 'C:\testfile.txt' -Wait -Tail 50 | Select-String -Pattern 'Sample pattern'


I'd rather run it as a topshelf service. I've already produced the following code:



public class MyService

private string doWork;

public string Path

get

return @"C:\testfile.txt";



public void Start()

while (this.doWork)

var script = $"Get-Content 'Path' -Wait -Tail 50


public void Stop()

this.doWork = false;





public class Program

static void Main(string[] args)

var rc = HostFactory.Run(
x =>

x.Service<MyService>(
s =>

s.ConstructUsing(name => new MyService());
s.WhenStarted(tc => tc.Start());
s.WhenStopped(tc => tc.Stop());
);
x.RunAsLocalSystem();
x.StartAutomatically();
x.SetDescription("Sample Topshelf Host");
x.SetDisplayName("Sample display name");
x.SetServiceName("Sample service name");
);

var exitCode = (int)Convert.ChangeType(rc, rc.GetTypeCode());
Environment.ExitCode = exitCode;




The solutions builds fine.I ran it in a debug mode, but for some reason I don't see the expected output on the console so I assume that there is some problem which I tried to figure out myself but without effect.
Is there any way to make this program working as expected? If anyone could provide some guidance or even proper solution I'd be grateful.







c# windows powershell service topshelf






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Mar 8 at 17:34









TheIncorrigible1

10.8k31437




10.8k31437










asked Mar 8 at 17:31









Dave LeeDave Lee

1




1












  • PowerShell.Streams has more than just Error. Try checking and writing to the console for all the streams (Debug, Error, Information, Progress, Verbose, and Warning).

    – Lews Therin
    Mar 8 at 17:46











  • FYI this will fail if you deploy it as a service, as the Service Control Manager will see that Start hasn't returned, and assume the service has failed to install, See this question or for more detail this issue

    – stuartd
    Mar 8 at 17:48

















  • PowerShell.Streams has more than just Error. Try checking and writing to the console for all the streams (Debug, Error, Information, Progress, Verbose, and Warning).

    – Lews Therin
    Mar 8 at 17:46











  • FYI this will fail if you deploy it as a service, as the Service Control Manager will see that Start hasn't returned, and assume the service has failed to install, See this question or for more detail this issue

    – stuartd
    Mar 8 at 17:48
















PowerShell.Streams has more than just Error. Try checking and writing to the console for all the streams (Debug, Error, Information, Progress, Verbose, and Warning).

– Lews Therin
Mar 8 at 17:46





PowerShell.Streams has more than just Error. Try checking and writing to the console for all the streams (Debug, Error, Information, Progress, Verbose, and Warning).

– Lews Therin
Mar 8 at 17:46













FYI this will fail if you deploy it as a service, as the Service Control Manager will see that Start hasn't returned, and assume the service has failed to install, See this question or for more detail this issue

– stuartd
Mar 8 at 17:48





FYI this will fail if you deploy it as a service, as the Service Control Manager will see that Start hasn't returned, and assume the service has failed to install, See this question or for more detail this issue

– stuartd
Mar 8 at 17:48












0






active

oldest

votes












Your Answer






StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55068213%2fpowershell-script-as-a-topshelf-windows-service%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55068213%2fpowershell-script-as-a-topshelf-windows-service%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices

How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page