Array push only works inside the callback The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCreate ArrayList from arrayHow do I check if an array includes an object in JavaScript?How to append something to an array?PHP: Delete an element from an arrayHow to insert an item into an array at a specific index (JavaScript)?How do I empty an array in JavaScript?Loop through an array in JavaScriptHow to check if an object is an array?How do I remove a particular element from an array in JavaScript?For-each over an array in JavaScript?

Does higher Oxidation/ reduction potential translate to higher energy storage in battery?

Which one is the true statement?

Redefining symbol midway through a document

Is French Guiana a (hard) EU border?

Small nick on power cord from an electric alarm clock, and copper wiring exposed but intact

Inexact numbers as keys in Association?

How to Implement Deterministic Encryption Safely in .NET

Is there a way to save my career from absolute disaster?

What flight has the highest ratio of timezone difference to flight time?

Players Circumventing the limitations of Wish

Decide between Polyglossia and Babel for LuaLaTeX in 2019

Scary film where a woman has vaginal teeth

Film where the government was corrupt with aliens, people sent to kill aliens are given rigged visors not showing the right aliens

Towers in the ocean; How deep can they be built?

Why did early computer designers eschew integers?

How to use ReplaceAll on an expression that contains a rule

Do scriptures give a method to recognize a truly self-realized person/jivanmukta?

What CSS properties can the br tag have?

Is it ever safe to open a suspicious HTML file (e.g. email attachment)?

Help/tips for a first time writer?

what's the use of '% to gdp' type of variables?

Computationally populating tables with probability data

Graph of the history of databases

Help understanding this unsettling image of Titan, Epimetheus, and Saturn's rings?



Array push only works inside the callback



The Next CEO of Stack OverflowCreate ArrayList from arrayHow do I check if an array includes an object in JavaScript?How to append something to an array?PHP: Delete an element from an arrayHow to insert an item into an array at a specific index (JavaScript)?How do I empty an array in JavaScript?Loop through an array in JavaScriptHow to check if an object is an array?How do I remove a particular element from an array in JavaScript?For-each over an array in JavaScript?










0















I'm trying to update an array with some mongoose values. But it only works if the array.push is inside the callback function. I've tried to code in several ways but outside the callback I always get an empty array. Here are some code:



let y = [];

Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr )
.then(function(os)
y.push(os);
)
.catch(err => throw err; );

console.log(y);


Using async/await:



let y = [];

async function docs()
const numDocs = await Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr ).exec();
return numDocs;


docs().then(function (err,n) y.push(n); );

console.log(y);


Help, please. I don't know what to do...










share|improve this question
























  • Why in the first function you do not use the exec() method and the second one you used it?

    – SergioEscudero
    Mar 8 at 17:31











  • Put the console.log() inside the callback function, on the line after you modify the array. Because it's async, the array has not yet been modified at the time you log it.

    – Martin Joiner
    Mar 8 at 17:33






  • 1





    Thanks Sergio, I just forgot the exec(), but it doesn't alter the results.

    – Fábio Medeiros
    Mar 8 at 17:36











  • @Martin, thanks for your reply. Your suggestion works but I need the updated array outside the callback, how could I retrieve it?

    – Fábio Medeiros
    Mar 8 at 17:39











  • @FábioMedeiros I would recommend you read up on the basic concepts of Asynchronous code. Basically you cannot assume the code executes in the order it is written so even though your console.log(y) is on the last line, it does not mean the push() has happened yet. I can recommend MDN as a source of learning developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript/Asynchronous

    – Martin Joiner
    Mar 11 at 20:43















0















I'm trying to update an array with some mongoose values. But it only works if the array.push is inside the callback function. I've tried to code in several ways but outside the callback I always get an empty array. Here are some code:



let y = [];

Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr )
.then(function(os)
y.push(os);
)
.catch(err => throw err; );

console.log(y);


Using async/await:



let y = [];

async function docs()
const numDocs = await Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr ).exec();
return numDocs;


docs().then(function (err,n) y.push(n); );

console.log(y);


Help, please. I don't know what to do...










share|improve this question
























  • Why in the first function you do not use the exec() method and the second one you used it?

    – SergioEscudero
    Mar 8 at 17:31











  • Put the console.log() inside the callback function, on the line after you modify the array. Because it's async, the array has not yet been modified at the time you log it.

    – Martin Joiner
    Mar 8 at 17:33






  • 1





    Thanks Sergio, I just forgot the exec(), but it doesn't alter the results.

    – Fábio Medeiros
    Mar 8 at 17:36











  • @Martin, thanks for your reply. Your suggestion works but I need the updated array outside the callback, how could I retrieve it?

    – Fábio Medeiros
    Mar 8 at 17:39











  • @FábioMedeiros I would recommend you read up on the basic concepts of Asynchronous code. Basically you cannot assume the code executes in the order it is written so even though your console.log(y) is on the last line, it does not mean the push() has happened yet. I can recommend MDN as a source of learning developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript/Asynchronous

    – Martin Joiner
    Mar 11 at 20:43













0












0








0








I'm trying to update an array with some mongoose values. But it only works if the array.push is inside the callback function. I've tried to code in several ways but outside the callback I always get an empty array. Here are some code:



let y = [];

Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr )
.then(function(os)
y.push(os);
)
.catch(err => throw err; );

console.log(y);


Using async/await:



let y = [];

async function docs()
const numDocs = await Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr ).exec();
return numDocs;


docs().then(function (err,n) y.push(n); );

console.log(y);


Help, please. I don't know what to do...










share|improve this question
















I'm trying to update an array with some mongoose values. But it only works if the array.push is inside the callback function. I've tried to code in several ways but outside the callback I always get an empty array. Here are some code:



let y = [];

Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr )
.then(function(os)
y.push(os);
)
.catch(err => throw err; );

console.log(y);


Using async/await:



let y = [];

async function docs()
const numDocs = await Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr ).exec();
return numDocs;


docs().then(function (err,n) y.push(n); );

console.log(y);


Help, please. I don't know what to do...







arrays node.js count array-push






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Mar 8 at 20:17









Luc

288




288










asked Mar 8 at 17:28









Fábio MedeirosFábio Medeiros

11




11












  • Why in the first function you do not use the exec() method and the second one you used it?

    – SergioEscudero
    Mar 8 at 17:31











  • Put the console.log() inside the callback function, on the line after you modify the array. Because it's async, the array has not yet been modified at the time you log it.

    – Martin Joiner
    Mar 8 at 17:33






  • 1





    Thanks Sergio, I just forgot the exec(), but it doesn't alter the results.

    – Fábio Medeiros
    Mar 8 at 17:36











  • @Martin, thanks for your reply. Your suggestion works but I need the updated array outside the callback, how could I retrieve it?

    – Fábio Medeiros
    Mar 8 at 17:39











  • @FábioMedeiros I would recommend you read up on the basic concepts of Asynchronous code. Basically you cannot assume the code executes in the order it is written so even though your console.log(y) is on the last line, it does not mean the push() has happened yet. I can recommend MDN as a source of learning developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript/Asynchronous

    – Martin Joiner
    Mar 11 at 20:43

















  • Why in the first function you do not use the exec() method and the second one you used it?

    – SergioEscudero
    Mar 8 at 17:31











  • Put the console.log() inside the callback function, on the line after you modify the array. Because it's async, the array has not yet been modified at the time you log it.

    – Martin Joiner
    Mar 8 at 17:33






  • 1





    Thanks Sergio, I just forgot the exec(), but it doesn't alter the results.

    – Fábio Medeiros
    Mar 8 at 17:36











  • @Martin, thanks for your reply. Your suggestion works but I need the updated array outside the callback, how could I retrieve it?

    – Fábio Medeiros
    Mar 8 at 17:39











  • @FábioMedeiros I would recommend you read up on the basic concepts of Asynchronous code. Basically you cannot assume the code executes in the order it is written so even though your console.log(y) is on the last line, it does not mean the push() has happened yet. I can recommend MDN as a source of learning developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript/Asynchronous

    – Martin Joiner
    Mar 11 at 20:43
















Why in the first function you do not use the exec() method and the second one you used it?

– SergioEscudero
Mar 8 at 17:31





Why in the first function you do not use the exec() method and the second one you used it?

– SergioEscudero
Mar 8 at 17:31













Put the console.log() inside the callback function, on the line after you modify the array. Because it's async, the array has not yet been modified at the time you log it.

– Martin Joiner
Mar 8 at 17:33





Put the console.log() inside the callback function, on the line after you modify the array. Because it's async, the array has not yet been modified at the time you log it.

– Martin Joiner
Mar 8 at 17:33




1




1





Thanks Sergio, I just forgot the exec(), but it doesn't alter the results.

– Fábio Medeiros
Mar 8 at 17:36





Thanks Sergio, I just forgot the exec(), but it doesn't alter the results.

– Fábio Medeiros
Mar 8 at 17:36













@Martin, thanks for your reply. Your suggestion works but I need the updated array outside the callback, how could I retrieve it?

– Fábio Medeiros
Mar 8 at 17:39





@Martin, thanks for your reply. Your suggestion works but I need the updated array outside the callback, how could I retrieve it?

– Fábio Medeiros
Mar 8 at 17:39













@FábioMedeiros I would recommend you read up on the basic concepts of Asynchronous code. Basically you cannot assume the code executes in the order it is written so even though your console.log(y) is on the last line, it does not mean the push() has happened yet. I can recommend MDN as a source of learning developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript/Asynchronous

– Martin Joiner
Mar 11 at 20:43





@FábioMedeiros I would recommend you read up on the basic concepts of Asynchronous code. Basically you cannot assume the code executes in the order it is written so even though your console.log(y) is on the last line, it does not mean the push() has happened yet. I can recommend MDN as a source of learning developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript/Asynchronous

– Martin Joiner
Mar 11 at 20:43












1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















0














My understanding is that you are missing a promise.



let y = [];

const docs = async () =>
return await Promise.all(Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr ).exec());


const docsToPush = docs()
y.push(docsToPush)
console.log(y);





share|improve this answer























  • @FábioMedeiros Just an extra note, I'm making the assumption you are using this to build a web app or api of some sort, you could change the const to var but I would recommend against this, using var opens you up to possible security threats.

    – Luc
    Mar 8 at 20:25











Your Answer






StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55068166%2farray-push-only-works-inside-the-callback%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









0














My understanding is that you are missing a promise.



let y = [];

const docs = async () =>
return await Promise.all(Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr ).exec());


const docsToPush = docs()
y.push(docsToPush)
console.log(y);





share|improve this answer























  • @FábioMedeiros Just an extra note, I'm making the assumption you are using this to build a web app or api of some sort, you could change the const to var but I would recommend against this, using var opens you up to possible security threats.

    – Luc
    Mar 8 at 20:25















0














My understanding is that you are missing a promise.



let y = [];

const docs = async () =>
return await Promise.all(Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr ).exec());


const docsToPush = docs()
y.push(docsToPush)
console.log(y);





share|improve this answer























  • @FábioMedeiros Just an extra note, I'm making the assumption you are using this to build a web app or api of some sort, you could change the const to var but I would recommend against this, using var opens you up to possible security threats.

    – Luc
    Mar 8 at 20:25













0












0








0







My understanding is that you are missing a promise.



let y = [];

const docs = async () =>
return await Promise.all(Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr ).exec());


const docsToPush = docs()
y.push(docsToPush)
console.log(y);





share|improve this answer













My understanding is that you are missing a promise.



let y = [];

const docs = async () =>
return await Promise.all(Shops.countDocuments( dt_encerramento: $gte: jan, $lte: abr ).exec());


const docsToPush = docs()
y.push(docsToPush)
console.log(y);






share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Mar 8 at 18:27









LucLuc

288




288












  • @FábioMedeiros Just an extra note, I'm making the assumption you are using this to build a web app or api of some sort, you could change the const to var but I would recommend against this, using var opens you up to possible security threats.

    – Luc
    Mar 8 at 20:25

















  • @FábioMedeiros Just an extra note, I'm making the assumption you are using this to build a web app or api of some sort, you could change the const to var but I would recommend against this, using var opens you up to possible security threats.

    – Luc
    Mar 8 at 20:25
















@FábioMedeiros Just an extra note, I'm making the assumption you are using this to build a web app or api of some sort, you could change the const to var but I would recommend against this, using var opens you up to possible security threats.

– Luc
Mar 8 at 20:25





@FábioMedeiros Just an extra note, I'm making the assumption you are using this to build a web app or api of some sort, you could change the const to var but I would recommend against this, using var opens you up to possible security threats.

– Luc
Mar 8 at 20:25



















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55068166%2farray-push-only-works-inside-the-callback%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page

Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices