Git merge commits cause merge conflicts The Next CEO of Stack OverflowHow to resolve merge conflicts in GitHow to modify existing, unpushed commits?What is the difference between 'git pull' and 'git fetch'?How to undo 'git add' before commit?How do I undo the most recent commits in Git?How do I force “git pull” to overwrite local files?How do I delete a Git branch locally and remotely?Undo a Git merge that hasn't been pushed yetHow to revert a Git repository to a previous commitHow do I rename a local Git branch?

Purpose of level-shifter with same in and out voltages

Airplane gently rocking its wings during whole flight

Is it okay to majorly distort historical facts while writing a fiction story?

Is it OK to decorate a log book cover?

Is it professional to write unrelated content in an almost-empty email?

Traveling with my 5 year old daughter (as the father) without the mother from Germany to Mexico

Aggressive Under-Indexing and no data for missing index

How to use ReplaceAll on an expression that contains a rule

Is it correct to say moon starry nights?

Where do students learn to solve polynomial equations these days?

Why is information "lost" when it got into a black hole?

What steps are necessary to read a Modern SSD in Medieval Europe?

Raspberry pi 3 B with Ubuntu 18.04 server arm64: what chip

Is French Guiana a (hard) EU border?

Inductor and Capacitor in Parallel

How to avoid supervisors with prejudiced views?

Can I board the first leg of the flight without having final country's visa?

Calculate the Mean mean of two numbers

Film where the government was corrupt with aliens, people sent to kill aliens are given rigged visors not showing the right aliens

Why did early computer designers eschew integers?

Towers in the ocean; How deep can they be built?

Help! I cannot understand this game’s notations!

What are the unusually-enlarged wing sections on this P-38 Lightning?

Won the lottery - how do I keep the money?



Git merge commits cause merge conflicts



The Next CEO of Stack OverflowHow to resolve merge conflicts in GitHow to modify existing, unpushed commits?What is the difference between 'git pull' and 'git fetch'?How to undo 'git add' before commit?How do I undo the most recent commits in Git?How do I force “git pull” to overwrite local files?How do I delete a Git branch locally and remotely?Undo a Git merge that hasn't been pushed yetHow to revert a Git repository to a previous commitHow do I rename a local Git branch?










0















I have two branches on a repo. One called master, and one called dev. Master is treated like production, and only gets occasional merges from branches created from dev. However, it happens that master gets commits that are not in dev every once in a while (hotfixes). Because of this, I merge master into dev periodically.



I have now run into a situation where merging master into dev causes a lot of conflicts. I have cherry-picked all of the actual changes that went into master into dev, so the code itself SHOULD be identical. However, when I go to merge master into dev, I get conflicts anyway. From what I can tell, these conflicts are coming from the actual merge commits that happened when I merged branches into master (they went into dev too). Any idea what might be going on here, and how to fix this from happening in the future?



 /--hotfix branch--
master ------/-------------------(merge commit)--------------------
| |
dev ---------------------------(merge commit)-------(lots of conflicts!)


If it is hard to tell from the diagram, A hotfix is created off of master, changes are made, and then merged into master. I then take that hotfix and merge it into dev too. The physical code at this point should be the same. However, when I try to merge master into dev now, I see a bunch of conflicts, most of which stem from the code changed in the hotfix as if I had never merged the hotfix into dev (I double checked, I did merge it into dev).










share|improve this question






















  • Are you trying to cherry-pick the merge-commits you have on master? (I mean, in addition to obviously cherry-picking the non-merge-commits)

    – RomainValeri
    Mar 8 at 18:00












  • It's unclear to me because at different points in your post you're saying different things; When you propagated the hotfix to dev, did you merge master into dev, or did you cherry-pick master commits into dev? Are you currently merging, or are you cherry-picking? These are very different things, and knowing which combination of actions we're talking about is important.

    – Mark Adelsberger
    Mar 8 at 18:16











  • @MarkAdelsberger when I propogated the hotfix, I merged it directly into dev, as well as to master. I.E. two separate MRs (in gitlab), which create two separate merge commits, one on dev, and another on master.

    – Silvertail
    Mar 8 at 18:33











  • Ok. So what were you talking about cherry picking?

    – Mark Adelsberger
    Mar 8 at 18:44











  • after the merges, and seeing that there were merge conflicts, I cherry-picked the commits with changes (not merge commits), to make sure the code really was all up to date (it is).

    – Silvertail
    Mar 8 at 18:50















0















I have two branches on a repo. One called master, and one called dev. Master is treated like production, and only gets occasional merges from branches created from dev. However, it happens that master gets commits that are not in dev every once in a while (hotfixes). Because of this, I merge master into dev periodically.



I have now run into a situation where merging master into dev causes a lot of conflicts. I have cherry-picked all of the actual changes that went into master into dev, so the code itself SHOULD be identical. However, when I go to merge master into dev, I get conflicts anyway. From what I can tell, these conflicts are coming from the actual merge commits that happened when I merged branches into master (they went into dev too). Any idea what might be going on here, and how to fix this from happening in the future?



 /--hotfix branch--
master ------/-------------------(merge commit)--------------------
| |
dev ---------------------------(merge commit)-------(lots of conflicts!)


If it is hard to tell from the diagram, A hotfix is created off of master, changes are made, and then merged into master. I then take that hotfix and merge it into dev too. The physical code at this point should be the same. However, when I try to merge master into dev now, I see a bunch of conflicts, most of which stem from the code changed in the hotfix as if I had never merged the hotfix into dev (I double checked, I did merge it into dev).










share|improve this question






















  • Are you trying to cherry-pick the merge-commits you have on master? (I mean, in addition to obviously cherry-picking the non-merge-commits)

    – RomainValeri
    Mar 8 at 18:00












  • It's unclear to me because at different points in your post you're saying different things; When you propagated the hotfix to dev, did you merge master into dev, or did you cherry-pick master commits into dev? Are you currently merging, or are you cherry-picking? These are very different things, and knowing which combination of actions we're talking about is important.

    – Mark Adelsberger
    Mar 8 at 18:16











  • @MarkAdelsberger when I propogated the hotfix, I merged it directly into dev, as well as to master. I.E. two separate MRs (in gitlab), which create two separate merge commits, one on dev, and another on master.

    – Silvertail
    Mar 8 at 18:33











  • Ok. So what were you talking about cherry picking?

    – Mark Adelsberger
    Mar 8 at 18:44











  • after the merges, and seeing that there were merge conflicts, I cherry-picked the commits with changes (not merge commits), to make sure the code really was all up to date (it is).

    – Silvertail
    Mar 8 at 18:50













0












0








0








I have two branches on a repo. One called master, and one called dev. Master is treated like production, and only gets occasional merges from branches created from dev. However, it happens that master gets commits that are not in dev every once in a while (hotfixes). Because of this, I merge master into dev periodically.



I have now run into a situation where merging master into dev causes a lot of conflicts. I have cherry-picked all of the actual changes that went into master into dev, so the code itself SHOULD be identical. However, when I go to merge master into dev, I get conflicts anyway. From what I can tell, these conflicts are coming from the actual merge commits that happened when I merged branches into master (they went into dev too). Any idea what might be going on here, and how to fix this from happening in the future?



 /--hotfix branch--
master ------/-------------------(merge commit)--------------------
| |
dev ---------------------------(merge commit)-------(lots of conflicts!)


If it is hard to tell from the diagram, A hotfix is created off of master, changes are made, and then merged into master. I then take that hotfix and merge it into dev too. The physical code at this point should be the same. However, when I try to merge master into dev now, I see a bunch of conflicts, most of which stem from the code changed in the hotfix as if I had never merged the hotfix into dev (I double checked, I did merge it into dev).










share|improve this question














I have two branches on a repo. One called master, and one called dev. Master is treated like production, and only gets occasional merges from branches created from dev. However, it happens that master gets commits that are not in dev every once in a while (hotfixes). Because of this, I merge master into dev periodically.



I have now run into a situation where merging master into dev causes a lot of conflicts. I have cherry-picked all of the actual changes that went into master into dev, so the code itself SHOULD be identical. However, when I go to merge master into dev, I get conflicts anyway. From what I can tell, these conflicts are coming from the actual merge commits that happened when I merged branches into master (they went into dev too). Any idea what might be going on here, and how to fix this from happening in the future?



 /--hotfix branch--
master ------/-------------------(merge commit)--------------------
| |
dev ---------------------------(merge commit)-------(lots of conflicts!)


If it is hard to tell from the diagram, A hotfix is created off of master, changes are made, and then merged into master. I then take that hotfix and merge it into dev too. The physical code at this point should be the same. However, when I try to merge master into dev now, I see a bunch of conflicts, most of which stem from the code changed in the hotfix as if I had never merged the hotfix into dev (I double checked, I did merge it into dev).







git merge version-control






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Mar 8 at 17:36









SilvertailSilvertail

7910




7910












  • Are you trying to cherry-pick the merge-commits you have on master? (I mean, in addition to obviously cherry-picking the non-merge-commits)

    – RomainValeri
    Mar 8 at 18:00












  • It's unclear to me because at different points in your post you're saying different things; When you propagated the hotfix to dev, did you merge master into dev, or did you cherry-pick master commits into dev? Are you currently merging, or are you cherry-picking? These are very different things, and knowing which combination of actions we're talking about is important.

    – Mark Adelsberger
    Mar 8 at 18:16











  • @MarkAdelsberger when I propogated the hotfix, I merged it directly into dev, as well as to master. I.E. two separate MRs (in gitlab), which create two separate merge commits, one on dev, and another on master.

    – Silvertail
    Mar 8 at 18:33











  • Ok. So what were you talking about cherry picking?

    – Mark Adelsberger
    Mar 8 at 18:44











  • after the merges, and seeing that there were merge conflicts, I cherry-picked the commits with changes (not merge commits), to make sure the code really was all up to date (it is).

    – Silvertail
    Mar 8 at 18:50

















  • Are you trying to cherry-pick the merge-commits you have on master? (I mean, in addition to obviously cherry-picking the non-merge-commits)

    – RomainValeri
    Mar 8 at 18:00












  • It's unclear to me because at different points in your post you're saying different things; When you propagated the hotfix to dev, did you merge master into dev, or did you cherry-pick master commits into dev? Are you currently merging, or are you cherry-picking? These are very different things, and knowing which combination of actions we're talking about is important.

    – Mark Adelsberger
    Mar 8 at 18:16











  • @MarkAdelsberger when I propogated the hotfix, I merged it directly into dev, as well as to master. I.E. two separate MRs (in gitlab), which create two separate merge commits, one on dev, and another on master.

    – Silvertail
    Mar 8 at 18:33











  • Ok. So what were you talking about cherry picking?

    – Mark Adelsberger
    Mar 8 at 18:44











  • after the merges, and seeing that there were merge conflicts, I cherry-picked the commits with changes (not merge commits), to make sure the code really was all up to date (it is).

    – Silvertail
    Mar 8 at 18:50
















Are you trying to cherry-pick the merge-commits you have on master? (I mean, in addition to obviously cherry-picking the non-merge-commits)

– RomainValeri
Mar 8 at 18:00






Are you trying to cherry-pick the merge-commits you have on master? (I mean, in addition to obviously cherry-picking the non-merge-commits)

– RomainValeri
Mar 8 at 18:00














It's unclear to me because at different points in your post you're saying different things; When you propagated the hotfix to dev, did you merge master into dev, or did you cherry-pick master commits into dev? Are you currently merging, or are you cherry-picking? These are very different things, and knowing which combination of actions we're talking about is important.

– Mark Adelsberger
Mar 8 at 18:16





It's unclear to me because at different points in your post you're saying different things; When you propagated the hotfix to dev, did you merge master into dev, or did you cherry-pick master commits into dev? Are you currently merging, or are you cherry-picking? These are very different things, and knowing which combination of actions we're talking about is important.

– Mark Adelsberger
Mar 8 at 18:16













@MarkAdelsberger when I propogated the hotfix, I merged it directly into dev, as well as to master. I.E. two separate MRs (in gitlab), which create two separate merge commits, one on dev, and another on master.

– Silvertail
Mar 8 at 18:33





@MarkAdelsberger when I propogated the hotfix, I merged it directly into dev, as well as to master. I.E. two separate MRs (in gitlab), which create two separate merge commits, one on dev, and another on master.

– Silvertail
Mar 8 at 18:33













Ok. So what were you talking about cherry picking?

– Mark Adelsberger
Mar 8 at 18:44





Ok. So what were you talking about cherry picking?

– Mark Adelsberger
Mar 8 at 18:44













after the merges, and seeing that there were merge conflicts, I cherry-picked the commits with changes (not merge commits), to make sure the code really was all up to date (it is).

– Silvertail
Mar 8 at 18:50





after the merges, and seeing that there were merge conflicts, I cherry-picked the commits with changes (not merge commits), to make sure the code really was all up to date (it is).

– Silvertail
Mar 8 at 18:50












0






active

oldest

votes












Your Answer






StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55068283%2fgit-merge-commits-cause-merge-conflicts%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55068283%2fgit-merge-commits-cause-merge-conflicts%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page

Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices