node.js crypto.createPrivateKey envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal_ex:bad decrypt2019 Community Moderator ElectionEncrypt and decrypt a string in C#?How do I debug Node.js applications?How do I get started with Node.jsWriting files in Node.jsHow do I pass command line arguments to a Node.js program?Check synchronously if file/directory exists in Node.jsRead environment variables in Node.jsHow to decide when to use Node.js?How to exit in Node.jsWhat is the purpose of Node.js module.exports and how do you use it?

Writing in a Christian voice

Can other pieces capture a threatening piece and prevent a checkmate?

Weird lines in Microsoft Word

Exposing a company lying about themselves in a tightly knit industry: Is my career at risk on the long run?

What kind of footwear is suitable for walking in micro gravity environment?

Do native speakers use "ultima" and "proxima" frequently in spoken English?

Does convergence of polynomials imply that of its coefficients?

Does fire aspect on a sword, destroy mob drops?

Why is "la Gestapo" feminine?

Print a physical multiplication table

Is VPN a layer 3 concept?

Homology of the fiber

Unfrosted light bulb

Why didn’t Eve recognize the little cockroach as a living organism?

How to determine the greatest d orbital splitting?

Gauss brackets with double vertical lines

Isn't the word "experience" wrongly used in this context?

Print last inputted byte

What (if any) is the reason to buy in small local stores?

Friend wants my recommendation but I don't want to give it to him

Why doesn't the fusion process of the sun speed up?

What happens when the centripetal force is equal and opposite to the centrifugal force?

What are the consequences of changing the number of hours in a day?

Worshiping one God at a time?



node.js crypto.createPrivateKey envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal_ex:bad decrypt



2019 Community Moderator ElectionEncrypt and decrypt a string in C#?How do I debug Node.js applications?How do I get started with Node.jsWriting files in Node.jsHow do I pass command line arguments to a Node.js program?Check synchronously if file/directory exists in Node.jsRead environment variables in Node.jsHow to decide when to use Node.js?How to exit in Node.jsWhat is the purpose of Node.js module.exports and how do you use it?










0















I've run into a pickle, a user has a public and private key pair, generated using crypto from node.js v11.11.0.



The private key is password-protected. I distribute the public one, and use it to encrypt cipherkeys for AES encryption (hybrid mode).



The private key can be used from the command line (openssl on linux) just fine. But with node.js I get the error bad decrypt and EVP DecryptFinal.



The pair is generated like so:



crypto.generateKeyPair('rsa', 
modulusLength: 4096,
publicKeyEncoding:
type: 'spki',
format: 'pem'
,
privateKeyEncoding:
type: 'pkcs8',
format: 'pem',
cipher: 'aes-256-cbc',
passphrase: rand_pass

, (err, pub, priv) =>
if (err)
console.dir(err);
return callback( status: 500,
success: false,
message: err );

else
let key_file = crypto.createHash('sha256').update(id).digest('hex');
let dir = global.keys;
let pub_file = dir + key_file + '.pub';
let prv_file = dir + key_file + '.priv';
fs.writeFileSync(pub_file, pub);
fs.writeFileSync(prv_file, priv);
models.User.activate(id, pub_file, prv_file, function(reply)
return res.status(201).json(reply);
);

);


Whereas when I read the private key I get:



-----BEGIN ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY-----



From the command line (and by giving the passphrase) I get:



RSA key ok
writing RSA key
-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----


However, loading the private key from node.js is turning into a problem. Using the method crypto.createPrivateKey(key) I cannot get to load the private key:



 var meta = query.meta; 
var key_pem = fs.readFileSync(query.private_key, "ascii");
if (key_pem === undefined)
return res.status(500).json(message: "internal error" );


var priv_key = crypto.createPrivateKey(key_pem, 'pem', 'pkcs8', rand_pass);


The error is always the same, even though I've tried with various variations of encoding (key) and the parameters are identical.



Has anyone successfully used private keys with password protection in Node.JS without using a child_process but only the native method?










share|improve this question


























    0















    I've run into a pickle, a user has a public and private key pair, generated using crypto from node.js v11.11.0.



    The private key is password-protected. I distribute the public one, and use it to encrypt cipherkeys for AES encryption (hybrid mode).



    The private key can be used from the command line (openssl on linux) just fine. But with node.js I get the error bad decrypt and EVP DecryptFinal.



    The pair is generated like so:



    crypto.generateKeyPair('rsa', 
    modulusLength: 4096,
    publicKeyEncoding:
    type: 'spki',
    format: 'pem'
    ,
    privateKeyEncoding:
    type: 'pkcs8',
    format: 'pem',
    cipher: 'aes-256-cbc',
    passphrase: rand_pass

    , (err, pub, priv) =>
    if (err)
    console.dir(err);
    return callback( status: 500,
    success: false,
    message: err );

    else
    let key_file = crypto.createHash('sha256').update(id).digest('hex');
    let dir = global.keys;
    let pub_file = dir + key_file + '.pub';
    let prv_file = dir + key_file + '.priv';
    fs.writeFileSync(pub_file, pub);
    fs.writeFileSync(prv_file, priv);
    models.User.activate(id, pub_file, prv_file, function(reply)
    return res.status(201).json(reply);
    );

    );


    Whereas when I read the private key I get:



    -----BEGIN ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY-----



    From the command line (and by giving the passphrase) I get:



    RSA key ok
    writing RSA key
    -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----


    However, loading the private key from node.js is turning into a problem. Using the method crypto.createPrivateKey(key) I cannot get to load the private key:



     var meta = query.meta; 
    var key_pem = fs.readFileSync(query.private_key, "ascii");
    if (key_pem === undefined)
    return res.status(500).json(message: "internal error" );


    var priv_key = crypto.createPrivateKey(key_pem, 'pem', 'pkcs8', rand_pass);


    The error is always the same, even though I've tried with various variations of encoding (key) and the parameters are identical.



    Has anyone successfully used private keys with password protection in Node.JS without using a child_process but only the native method?










    share|improve this question
























      0












      0








      0








      I've run into a pickle, a user has a public and private key pair, generated using crypto from node.js v11.11.0.



      The private key is password-protected. I distribute the public one, and use it to encrypt cipherkeys for AES encryption (hybrid mode).



      The private key can be used from the command line (openssl on linux) just fine. But with node.js I get the error bad decrypt and EVP DecryptFinal.



      The pair is generated like so:



      crypto.generateKeyPair('rsa', 
      modulusLength: 4096,
      publicKeyEncoding:
      type: 'spki',
      format: 'pem'
      ,
      privateKeyEncoding:
      type: 'pkcs8',
      format: 'pem',
      cipher: 'aes-256-cbc',
      passphrase: rand_pass

      , (err, pub, priv) =>
      if (err)
      console.dir(err);
      return callback( status: 500,
      success: false,
      message: err );

      else
      let key_file = crypto.createHash('sha256').update(id).digest('hex');
      let dir = global.keys;
      let pub_file = dir + key_file + '.pub';
      let prv_file = dir + key_file + '.priv';
      fs.writeFileSync(pub_file, pub);
      fs.writeFileSync(prv_file, priv);
      models.User.activate(id, pub_file, prv_file, function(reply)
      return res.status(201).json(reply);
      );

      );


      Whereas when I read the private key I get:



      -----BEGIN ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY-----



      From the command line (and by giving the passphrase) I get:



      RSA key ok
      writing RSA key
      -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----


      However, loading the private key from node.js is turning into a problem. Using the method crypto.createPrivateKey(key) I cannot get to load the private key:



       var meta = query.meta; 
      var key_pem = fs.readFileSync(query.private_key, "ascii");
      if (key_pem === undefined)
      return res.status(500).json(message: "internal error" );


      var priv_key = crypto.createPrivateKey(key_pem, 'pem', 'pkcs8', rand_pass);


      The error is always the same, even though I've tried with various variations of encoding (key) and the parameters are identical.



      Has anyone successfully used private keys with password protection in Node.JS without using a child_process but only the native method?










      share|improve this question














      I've run into a pickle, a user has a public and private key pair, generated using crypto from node.js v11.11.0.



      The private key is password-protected. I distribute the public one, and use it to encrypt cipherkeys for AES encryption (hybrid mode).



      The private key can be used from the command line (openssl on linux) just fine. But with node.js I get the error bad decrypt and EVP DecryptFinal.



      The pair is generated like so:



      crypto.generateKeyPair('rsa', 
      modulusLength: 4096,
      publicKeyEncoding:
      type: 'spki',
      format: 'pem'
      ,
      privateKeyEncoding:
      type: 'pkcs8',
      format: 'pem',
      cipher: 'aes-256-cbc',
      passphrase: rand_pass

      , (err, pub, priv) =>
      if (err)
      console.dir(err);
      return callback( status: 500,
      success: false,
      message: err );

      else
      let key_file = crypto.createHash('sha256').update(id).digest('hex');
      let dir = global.keys;
      let pub_file = dir + key_file + '.pub';
      let prv_file = dir + key_file + '.priv';
      fs.writeFileSync(pub_file, pub);
      fs.writeFileSync(prv_file, priv);
      models.User.activate(id, pub_file, prv_file, function(reply)
      return res.status(201).json(reply);
      );

      );


      Whereas when I read the private key I get:



      -----BEGIN ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY-----



      From the command line (and by giving the passphrase) I get:



      RSA key ok
      writing RSA key
      -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----


      However, loading the private key from node.js is turning into a problem. Using the method crypto.createPrivateKey(key) I cannot get to load the private key:



       var meta = query.meta; 
      var key_pem = fs.readFileSync(query.private_key, "ascii");
      if (key_pem === undefined)
      return res.status(500).json(message: "internal error" );


      var priv_key = crypto.createPrivateKey(key_pem, 'pem', 'pkcs8', rand_pass);


      The error is always the same, even though I've tried with various variations of encoding (key) and the parameters are identical.



      Has anyone successfully used private keys with password protection in Node.JS without using a child_process but only the native method?







      node.js encryption cryptography






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Mar 7 at 19:12









      ÆlexÆlex

      6,7801163100




      6,7801163100






















          0






          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer






          StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
          StackExchange.snippets.init();
          );
          );
          , "code-snippets");

          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "1"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55051224%2fnode-js-crypto-createprivatekey-envelope-routinesevp-decryptfinal-exbad-decryp%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          0






          active

          oldest

          votes








          0






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes















          draft saved

          draft discarded
















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55051224%2fnode-js-crypto-createprivatekey-envelope-routinesevp-decryptfinal-exbad-decryp%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

          Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices

          How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page