Exit Process When all Readline on('line') Callbacks Complete2019 Community Moderator ElectionCallback after all asynchronous forEach callbacks are completedNode JS Promise.all and forEachPromise.catch is swallowing errorsNodeJS async/await: Why is my Array becoming 1 in the async/await call back?How can I make the await subscribe block complete before executing next line of code?What's the best design approach for NodeJS promised & loops?await Promise.reject or throw error to bail out?How to convert Node.js async streaming callback into an async generator?Pulling a file from an API and piping it results in a file not found error when I try to read itProper calling sequence to have Node.js disconnect from database after processing input file

Why doesn't the EU now just force the UK to choose between referendum and no-deal?

Do these spellcasting foci from Xanathar's Guide to Everything have to be held in a hand?

Min function accepting varying number of arguments in C++17

What options are left, if Britain cannot decide?

What should tie a collection of short-stories together?

Sailing the cryptic seas

It's a yearly task, alright

Brexit - No Deal Rejection

Official degrees of earth’s rotation per day

How to deal with a cynical class?

Do the common programs (for example: "ls", "cat") in Linux and BSD come from the same source code?

Gravity magic - How does it work?

Do I need life insurance if I can cover my own funeral costs?

Professor being mistaken for a grad student

Gantt Chart like rectangles with log scale

Have researchers managed to "reverse time"? If so, what does that mean for physics?

What do Xenomorphs eat in the Alien series?

How to deal with taxi scam when on vacation?

PTIJ: Who should I vote for? (21st Knesset Edition)

What approach do we need to follow for projects without a test environment?

Time travel from stationary position?

Should we release the security issues we found in our product as CVE or we can just update those on weekly release notes?

Do I need to be arrogant to get ahead?

Examples of the Pigeonhole Principle



Exit Process When all Readline on('line') Callbacks Complete



2019 Community Moderator ElectionCallback after all asynchronous forEach callbacks are completedNode JS Promise.all and forEachPromise.catch is swallowing errorsNodeJS async/await: Why is my Array becoming 1 in the async/await call back?How can I make the await subscribe block complete before executing next line of code?What's the best design approach for NodeJS promised & loops?await Promise.reject or throw error to bail out?How to convert Node.js async streaming callback into an async generator?Pulling a file from an API and piping it results in a file not found error when I try to read itProper calling sequence to have Node.js disconnect from database after processing input file










0















I have a Node v10.14.1 program that reads a CSV file line-by-line using the readline Interface



My .on('line') is an async callback performs some operations which read/write from a db, thus I use async/await to deal with the promises.



A short version of the program's code block of interest would look something like:



const readline = require('readline');
const filesystem = require('fs');

const reader = readline.createInterface(
input: filesystem.createReadStream(pathToSomeCSV)
);

reader.on('line', async (line) =>
await doSomeDBStuff();
)


If I leave the above the way it is, the process does not exit. However, if I



reader.on('close', () => process.exit());


then the process exits prior to all of the on('line') callbacks finishing and their promises resolving.



My question is: is there a way to say "Upon all lines being read AND all on('line') callbacks being completed with their promises resolved, then exit the process (I assume with process.exit())"?










share|improve this question

















  • 1





    Just drop the close handler. When all asynchronous work is done (and there are no outstanding handler), node.js will stop by itself. You don't need to call process.exit() explicitly, that's only useful for prematurely exiting (or exiting with a specific error code). You should investigate why your process does not end, is some db connection kept open?

    – Bergi
    Mar 7 at 14:15












  • so it is an open db connection pool that is causing the process not to exit. I still have the problem but it could be worded differently because it is a problem with db library (sequelize) not readline.

    – northsideknight
    Mar 7 at 15:28











  • Yeah. Is there a method that drains sequelizes connection pool? You could call that in the close handler.

    – Bergi
    Mar 7 at 15:44











  • I could not find one. What we ended up doing was, for every operation that needs to occur asynchronously, we added a promise to an array that would resolve when that operation completed. Then, upon close we used await Promise.all(operations), when that finished, we explicitly closed the Sequelize connection pool.

    – northsideknight
    Mar 8 at 14:14















0















I have a Node v10.14.1 program that reads a CSV file line-by-line using the readline Interface



My .on('line') is an async callback performs some operations which read/write from a db, thus I use async/await to deal with the promises.



A short version of the program's code block of interest would look something like:



const readline = require('readline');
const filesystem = require('fs');

const reader = readline.createInterface(
input: filesystem.createReadStream(pathToSomeCSV)
);

reader.on('line', async (line) =>
await doSomeDBStuff();
)


If I leave the above the way it is, the process does not exit. However, if I



reader.on('close', () => process.exit());


then the process exits prior to all of the on('line') callbacks finishing and their promises resolving.



My question is: is there a way to say "Upon all lines being read AND all on('line') callbacks being completed with their promises resolved, then exit the process (I assume with process.exit())"?










share|improve this question

















  • 1





    Just drop the close handler. When all asynchronous work is done (and there are no outstanding handler), node.js will stop by itself. You don't need to call process.exit() explicitly, that's only useful for prematurely exiting (or exiting with a specific error code). You should investigate why your process does not end, is some db connection kept open?

    – Bergi
    Mar 7 at 14:15












  • so it is an open db connection pool that is causing the process not to exit. I still have the problem but it could be worded differently because it is a problem with db library (sequelize) not readline.

    – northsideknight
    Mar 7 at 15:28











  • Yeah. Is there a method that drains sequelizes connection pool? You could call that in the close handler.

    – Bergi
    Mar 7 at 15:44











  • I could not find one. What we ended up doing was, for every operation that needs to occur asynchronously, we added a promise to an array that would resolve when that operation completed. Then, upon close we used await Promise.all(operations), when that finished, we explicitly closed the Sequelize connection pool.

    – northsideknight
    Mar 8 at 14:14













0












0








0








I have a Node v10.14.1 program that reads a CSV file line-by-line using the readline Interface



My .on('line') is an async callback performs some operations which read/write from a db, thus I use async/await to deal with the promises.



A short version of the program's code block of interest would look something like:



const readline = require('readline');
const filesystem = require('fs');

const reader = readline.createInterface(
input: filesystem.createReadStream(pathToSomeCSV)
);

reader.on('line', async (line) =>
await doSomeDBStuff();
)


If I leave the above the way it is, the process does not exit. However, if I



reader.on('close', () => process.exit());


then the process exits prior to all of the on('line') callbacks finishing and their promises resolving.



My question is: is there a way to say "Upon all lines being read AND all on('line') callbacks being completed with their promises resolved, then exit the process (I assume with process.exit())"?










share|improve this question














I have a Node v10.14.1 program that reads a CSV file line-by-line using the readline Interface



My .on('line') is an async callback performs some operations which read/write from a db, thus I use async/await to deal with the promises.



A short version of the program's code block of interest would look something like:



const readline = require('readline');
const filesystem = require('fs');

const reader = readline.createInterface(
input: filesystem.createReadStream(pathToSomeCSV)
);

reader.on('line', async (line) =>
await doSomeDBStuff();
)


If I leave the above the way it is, the process does not exit. However, if I



reader.on('close', () => process.exit());


then the process exits prior to all of the on('line') callbacks finishing and their promises resolving.



My question is: is there a way to say "Upon all lines being read AND all on('line') callbacks being completed with their promises resolved, then exit the process (I assume with process.exit())"?







node.js promise async-await






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Mar 7 at 14:10









northsideknightnorthsideknight

8891720




8891720







  • 1





    Just drop the close handler. When all asynchronous work is done (and there are no outstanding handler), node.js will stop by itself. You don't need to call process.exit() explicitly, that's only useful for prematurely exiting (or exiting with a specific error code). You should investigate why your process does not end, is some db connection kept open?

    – Bergi
    Mar 7 at 14:15












  • so it is an open db connection pool that is causing the process not to exit. I still have the problem but it could be worded differently because it is a problem with db library (sequelize) not readline.

    – northsideknight
    Mar 7 at 15:28











  • Yeah. Is there a method that drains sequelizes connection pool? You could call that in the close handler.

    – Bergi
    Mar 7 at 15:44











  • I could not find one. What we ended up doing was, for every operation that needs to occur asynchronously, we added a promise to an array that would resolve when that operation completed. Then, upon close we used await Promise.all(operations), when that finished, we explicitly closed the Sequelize connection pool.

    – northsideknight
    Mar 8 at 14:14












  • 1





    Just drop the close handler. When all asynchronous work is done (and there are no outstanding handler), node.js will stop by itself. You don't need to call process.exit() explicitly, that's only useful for prematurely exiting (or exiting with a specific error code). You should investigate why your process does not end, is some db connection kept open?

    – Bergi
    Mar 7 at 14:15












  • so it is an open db connection pool that is causing the process not to exit. I still have the problem but it could be worded differently because it is a problem with db library (sequelize) not readline.

    – northsideknight
    Mar 7 at 15:28











  • Yeah. Is there a method that drains sequelizes connection pool? You could call that in the close handler.

    – Bergi
    Mar 7 at 15:44











  • I could not find one. What we ended up doing was, for every operation that needs to occur asynchronously, we added a promise to an array that would resolve when that operation completed. Then, upon close we used await Promise.all(operations), when that finished, we explicitly closed the Sequelize connection pool.

    – northsideknight
    Mar 8 at 14:14







1




1





Just drop the close handler. When all asynchronous work is done (and there are no outstanding handler), node.js will stop by itself. You don't need to call process.exit() explicitly, that's only useful for prematurely exiting (or exiting with a specific error code). You should investigate why your process does not end, is some db connection kept open?

– Bergi
Mar 7 at 14:15






Just drop the close handler. When all asynchronous work is done (and there are no outstanding handler), node.js will stop by itself. You don't need to call process.exit() explicitly, that's only useful for prematurely exiting (or exiting with a specific error code). You should investigate why your process does not end, is some db connection kept open?

– Bergi
Mar 7 at 14:15














so it is an open db connection pool that is causing the process not to exit. I still have the problem but it could be worded differently because it is a problem with db library (sequelize) not readline.

– northsideknight
Mar 7 at 15:28





so it is an open db connection pool that is causing the process not to exit. I still have the problem but it could be worded differently because it is a problem with db library (sequelize) not readline.

– northsideknight
Mar 7 at 15:28













Yeah. Is there a method that drains sequelizes connection pool? You could call that in the close handler.

– Bergi
Mar 7 at 15:44





Yeah. Is there a method that drains sequelizes connection pool? You could call that in the close handler.

– Bergi
Mar 7 at 15:44













I could not find one. What we ended up doing was, for every operation that needs to occur asynchronously, we added a promise to an array that would resolve when that operation completed. Then, upon close we used await Promise.all(operations), when that finished, we explicitly closed the Sequelize connection pool.

– northsideknight
Mar 8 at 14:14





I could not find one. What we ended up doing was, for every operation that needs to occur asynchronously, we added a promise to an array that would resolve when that operation completed. Then, upon close we used await Promise.all(operations), when that finished, we explicitly closed the Sequelize connection pool.

– northsideknight
Mar 8 at 14:14












0






active

oldest

votes











Your Answer






StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55045812%2fexit-process-when-all-readline-online-callbacks-complete%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55045812%2fexit-process-when-all-readline-online-callbacks-complete%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page

Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices