Image does not change when adding an alpha channel2019 Community Moderator ElectionWhat does the “yield” keyword do?Does Python have a ternary conditional operator?What does if __name__ == “__main__”: do?Lazy load of images in ListViewDoes Python have a string 'contains' substring method?Use a color to create an alpha channel for a PNG?How to install packages using pip according to the requirements.txt file from a local directory?Image Processing: Algorithm Improvement for 'Coca-Cola Can' RecognitionAdding an alpha channel to a Monochrome Image using Open CV PythonTkinter image with alpha channel works as desired in windows but not linux

Difference between 'stomach' and 'uterus'

When to use mean vs median

How to use math.log10 function on whole pandas dataframe

Sometimes a banana is just a banana

Caulking a corner instead of taping with joint compound?

Must 40/100G uplink ports on a 10G switch be connected to another switch?

Is there a full canon version of Tyrion's jackass/honeycomb joke?

Inconsistent behaviour between dict.values() and dict.keys() equality in Python 3.x and Python 2.7

What is the meaning of "notice to quit at once" and "Lotty points”

Misplaced tyre lever - alternatives?

Why are special aircraft used for the carriers in the United States Navy?

Meaning of word ягоза

How does insurance birth control work?

If there are any 3nion, 5nion, 7nion, 9nion, 10nion, etc.

Why do phishing e-mails use faked e-mail addresses instead of the real one?

Is there a frame of reference in which I was born before I was conceived?

GPL code private and stolen

Was it really inappropriate to write a pull request for the company I interviewed with?

How to kill a localhost:8080

What is a term for a function that when called repeatedly, has the same effect as calling once?

Make me a metasequence

Did Amazon pay $0 in taxes last year?

When do _WA_Sys_ statistics Get Updated?

How to get the first element while continue streaming?



Image does not change when adding an alpha channel



2019 Community Moderator ElectionWhat does the “yield” keyword do?Does Python have a ternary conditional operator?What does if __name__ == “__main__”: do?Lazy load of images in ListViewDoes Python have a string 'contains' substring method?Use a color to create an alpha channel for a PNG?How to install packages using pip according to the requirements.txt file from a local directory?Image Processing: Algorithm Improvement for 'Coca-Cola Can' RecognitionAdding an alpha channel to a Monochrome Image using Open CV PythonTkinter image with alpha channel works as desired in windows but not linux










3















The pillow package has a method called Image.putalpha() which is used to add or change the alpha channel of an image.



I tried to play with this method and found that I can not change the background color of an image. The original image is



enter image description here



This is my code to add alpha to it



from PIL import Image

im_owl = Image.open("owl.jpg")

alpha = Image.new("L", im_owl.size, 50)
im_owl.putalpha(alpha)

im_owl.show()


The produced image is nothing different from the original image. I have tried with different value of alpha and see no difference.



What could have been wrong?










share|improve this question
























  • Aren't you suppose to first create the image with alpha channel? cv2.COLOR_RGB2RGBA

    – DirtyBit
    13 hours ago











  • You can read the doc about Image.putalpha(), which does not require image to be with an alpha channel before hand. There is no OpenCV involved in this question.

    – jdhao
    13 hours ago
















3















The pillow package has a method called Image.putalpha() which is used to add or change the alpha channel of an image.



I tried to play with this method and found that I can not change the background color of an image. The original image is



enter image description here



This is my code to add alpha to it



from PIL import Image

im_owl = Image.open("owl.jpg")

alpha = Image.new("L", im_owl.size, 50)
im_owl.putalpha(alpha)

im_owl.show()


The produced image is nothing different from the original image. I have tried with different value of alpha and see no difference.



What could have been wrong?










share|improve this question
























  • Aren't you suppose to first create the image with alpha channel? cv2.COLOR_RGB2RGBA

    – DirtyBit
    13 hours ago











  • You can read the doc about Image.putalpha(), which does not require image to be with an alpha channel before hand. There is no OpenCV involved in this question.

    – jdhao
    13 hours ago














3












3








3








The pillow package has a method called Image.putalpha() which is used to add or change the alpha channel of an image.



I tried to play with this method and found that I can not change the background color of an image. The original image is



enter image description here



This is my code to add alpha to it



from PIL import Image

im_owl = Image.open("owl.jpg")

alpha = Image.new("L", im_owl.size, 50)
im_owl.putalpha(alpha)

im_owl.show()


The produced image is nothing different from the original image. I have tried with different value of alpha and see no difference.



What could have been wrong?










share|improve this question
















The pillow package has a method called Image.putalpha() which is used to add or change the alpha channel of an image.



I tried to play with this method and found that I can not change the background color of an image. The original image is



enter image description here



This is my code to add alpha to it



from PIL import Image

im_owl = Image.open("owl.jpg")

alpha = Image.new("L", im_owl.size, 50)
im_owl.putalpha(alpha)

im_owl.show()


The produced image is nothing different from the original image. I have tried with different value of alpha and see no difference.



What could have been wrong?







python image image-processing python-imaging-library alpha






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 13 hours ago







jdhao

















asked 13 hours ago









jdhaojdhao

4,34412445




4,34412445












  • Aren't you suppose to first create the image with alpha channel? cv2.COLOR_RGB2RGBA

    – DirtyBit
    13 hours ago











  • You can read the doc about Image.putalpha(), which does not require image to be with an alpha channel before hand. There is no OpenCV involved in this question.

    – jdhao
    13 hours ago


















  • Aren't you suppose to first create the image with alpha channel? cv2.COLOR_RGB2RGBA

    – DirtyBit
    13 hours ago











  • You can read the doc about Image.putalpha(), which does not require image to be with an alpha channel before hand. There is no OpenCV involved in this question.

    – jdhao
    13 hours ago

















Aren't you suppose to first create the image with alpha channel? cv2.COLOR_RGB2RGBA

– DirtyBit
13 hours ago





Aren't you suppose to first create the image with alpha channel? cv2.COLOR_RGB2RGBA

– DirtyBit
13 hours ago













You can read the doc about Image.putalpha(), which does not require image to be with an alpha channel before hand. There is no OpenCV involved in this question.

– jdhao
13 hours ago






You can read the doc about Image.putalpha(), which does not require image to be with an alpha channel before hand. There is no OpenCV involved in this question.

– jdhao
13 hours ago













2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes


















1














try to save the image and see it.
I am also not able to see the image directly from



im_owl.show()


but when I saved it



im_owl.save()


I am able to see the image changed.






share|improve this answer








New contributor




sanyam is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.



























    1














    Try using



    im_owl.save("alphadOwl.png")


    And then view the saved image. It would seem that the alpha channel isn't applied to bmp or jpg files. It is a bmp file that gets displayed with im.show()



    (For the record, I'm on a mac, I don't know if im.show() uses different applications on other devices).






    share|improve this answer























    • Thanks, it seems the image is shown as bmp file, which does not use alpha channel.

      – jdhao
      12 hours ago











    • Might be worth looking at what happens when you read it back in to a PIL image - does the alpha channel remain?

      – Pam
      11 hours ago










    Your Answer






    StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
    StackExchange.snippets.init();
    );
    );
    , "code-snippets");

    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "1"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55021088%2fimage-does-not-change-when-adding-an-alpha-channel%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    2 Answers
    2






    active

    oldest

    votes








    2 Answers
    2






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    1














    try to save the image and see it.
    I am also not able to see the image directly from



    im_owl.show()


    but when I saved it



    im_owl.save()


    I am able to see the image changed.






    share|improve this answer








    New contributor




    sanyam is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
    Check out our Code of Conduct.
























      1














      try to save the image and see it.
      I am also not able to see the image directly from



      im_owl.show()


      but when I saved it



      im_owl.save()


      I am able to see the image changed.






      share|improve this answer








      New contributor




      sanyam is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.






















        1












        1








        1







        try to save the image and see it.
        I am also not able to see the image directly from



        im_owl.show()


        but when I saved it



        im_owl.save()


        I am able to see the image changed.






        share|improve this answer








        New contributor




        sanyam is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.










        try to save the image and see it.
        I am also not able to see the image directly from



        im_owl.show()


        but when I saved it



        im_owl.save()


        I am able to see the image changed.







        share|improve this answer








        New contributor




        sanyam is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.









        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer






        New contributor




        sanyam is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.









        answered 13 hours ago









        sanyamsanyam

        311




        311




        New contributor




        sanyam is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.





        New contributor





        sanyam is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.






        sanyam is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
        Check out our Code of Conduct.























            1














            Try using



            im_owl.save("alphadOwl.png")


            And then view the saved image. It would seem that the alpha channel isn't applied to bmp or jpg files. It is a bmp file that gets displayed with im.show()



            (For the record, I'm on a mac, I don't know if im.show() uses different applications on other devices).






            share|improve this answer























            • Thanks, it seems the image is shown as bmp file, which does not use alpha channel.

              – jdhao
              12 hours ago











            • Might be worth looking at what happens when you read it back in to a PIL image - does the alpha channel remain?

              – Pam
              11 hours ago















            1














            Try using



            im_owl.save("alphadOwl.png")


            And then view the saved image. It would seem that the alpha channel isn't applied to bmp or jpg files. It is a bmp file that gets displayed with im.show()



            (For the record, I'm on a mac, I don't know if im.show() uses different applications on other devices).






            share|improve this answer























            • Thanks, it seems the image is shown as bmp file, which does not use alpha channel.

              – jdhao
              12 hours ago











            • Might be worth looking at what happens when you read it back in to a PIL image - does the alpha channel remain?

              – Pam
              11 hours ago













            1












            1








            1







            Try using



            im_owl.save("alphadOwl.png")


            And then view the saved image. It would seem that the alpha channel isn't applied to bmp or jpg files. It is a bmp file that gets displayed with im.show()



            (For the record, I'm on a mac, I don't know if im.show() uses different applications on other devices).






            share|improve this answer













            Try using



            im_owl.save("alphadOwl.png")


            And then view the saved image. It would seem that the alpha channel isn't applied to bmp or jpg files. It is a bmp file that gets displayed with im.show()



            (For the record, I'm on a mac, I don't know if im.show() uses different applications on other devices).







            share|improve this answer












            share|improve this answer



            share|improve this answer










            answered 13 hours ago









            PamPam

            6911513




            6911513












            • Thanks, it seems the image is shown as bmp file, which does not use alpha channel.

              – jdhao
              12 hours ago











            • Might be worth looking at what happens when you read it back in to a PIL image - does the alpha channel remain?

              – Pam
              11 hours ago

















            • Thanks, it seems the image is shown as bmp file, which does not use alpha channel.

              – jdhao
              12 hours ago











            • Might be worth looking at what happens when you read it back in to a PIL image - does the alpha channel remain?

              – Pam
              11 hours ago
















            Thanks, it seems the image is shown as bmp file, which does not use alpha channel.

            – jdhao
            12 hours ago





            Thanks, it seems the image is shown as bmp file, which does not use alpha channel.

            – jdhao
            12 hours ago













            Might be worth looking at what happens when you read it back in to a PIL image - does the alpha channel remain?

            – Pam
            11 hours ago





            Might be worth looking at what happens when you read it back in to a PIL image - does the alpha channel remain?

            – Pam
            11 hours ago

















            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55021088%2fimage-does-not-change-when-adding-an-alpha-channel%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

            Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices

            How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page