xargs “-I” replacement from stdin2019 Community Moderator ElectionMake xargs execute the command once for each line of inputUnderstanding the UNIX command xargsCalling multiple commands through xargsHow to ignore xargs commands if stdin input is empty?Using xargs command and two move commands following itbash aliases in xargs: “bash -c” does not pass arguments to commandxargs command length limitsWhat's the equivalent of xargs in PowerShell?One liner for tab between xargs outputIs there a way to force xargs to send multiple lines at once?

Create chunks from an array

How do you make a gun that shoots melee weapons and/or swords?

Why would /etc/passwd be used every time someone executes `ls -l` command?

What should I do when a paper is published similar to my PhD thesis without citation?

How spaceships determine each other's mass in space?

What would be the most expensive material to an intergalactic society?

Should we avoid writing fiction about historical events without extensive research?

After Brexit, will the EU recognize British passports that are valid for more than ten years?

Having the player face themselves after the mid-game

Is divide-by-zero a security vulnerability?

Why restrict private health insurance?

Inorganic chemistry handbook with reaction lists

Use Mercury as quenching liquid for swords?

What is the orbit and expected lifetime of Crew Dragon trunk?

Did Amazon pay $0 in taxes last year?

What is Tony Stark injecting into himself in Iron Man 3?

How do you use environments that have the same name within a single latex document?

Giving a career talk in my old university, how prominently should I tell students my salary?

Will the concrete slab in a partially heated shed conduct a lot of heat to the unconditioned area?

Cycles on the torus

Why do phishing e-mails use faked e-mail addresses instead of the real one?

The (Easy) Road to Code

Rationale to prefer local variables over instance variables?

Why do we say 'Pairwise Disjoint', rather than 'Disjoint'?



xargs “-I” replacement from stdin



2019 Community Moderator ElectionMake xargs execute the command once for each line of inputUnderstanding the UNIX command xargsCalling multiple commands through xargsHow to ignore xargs commands if stdin input is empty?Using xargs command and two move commands following itbash aliases in xargs: “bash -c” does not pass arguments to commandxargs command length limitsWhat's the equivalent of xargs in PowerShell?One liner for tab between xargs outputIs there a way to force xargs to send multiple lines at once?










-1















Taken from xargs man page:




xargs reads items from the standard input ... and executes the command ...
with any initial-arguments followed by items read from standard input




I used bold to emphasize statement significant here



also




-I replace-str



Replace occurrences of replace-str in the initial-arguments with names read >from standard input.




I wonder if stream grabbed from standard input becomes consumed for ever by -I replace operation so its final attaching to command being executed can't have any effect.



Another imagineable approach is to conduct replacement as well as let initial arguments to be followed by items read from standard input.










share|improve this question






















  • -I implies -n 1. If you use -I you are expected to place the single item read from stdin into the command explicitly. cf. seq 1 3 | xargs -I@ echo hello

    – jhnc
    2 days ago
















-1















Taken from xargs man page:




xargs reads items from the standard input ... and executes the command ...
with any initial-arguments followed by items read from standard input




I used bold to emphasize statement significant here



also




-I replace-str



Replace occurrences of replace-str in the initial-arguments with names read >from standard input.




I wonder if stream grabbed from standard input becomes consumed for ever by -I replace operation so its final attaching to command being executed can't have any effect.



Another imagineable approach is to conduct replacement as well as let initial arguments to be followed by items read from standard input.










share|improve this question






















  • -I implies -n 1. If you use -I you are expected to place the single item read from stdin into the command explicitly. cf. seq 1 3 | xargs -I@ echo hello

    – jhnc
    2 days ago














-1












-1








-1








Taken from xargs man page:




xargs reads items from the standard input ... and executes the command ...
with any initial-arguments followed by items read from standard input




I used bold to emphasize statement significant here



also




-I replace-str



Replace occurrences of replace-str in the initial-arguments with names read >from standard input.




I wonder if stream grabbed from standard input becomes consumed for ever by -I replace operation so its final attaching to command being executed can't have any effect.



Another imagineable approach is to conduct replacement as well as let initial arguments to be followed by items read from standard input.










share|improve this question














Taken from xargs man page:




xargs reads items from the standard input ... and executes the command ...
with any initial-arguments followed by items read from standard input




I used bold to emphasize statement significant here



also




-I replace-str



Replace occurrences of replace-str in the initial-arguments with names read >from standard input.




I wonder if stream grabbed from standard input becomes consumed for ever by -I replace operation so its final attaching to command being executed can't have any effect.



Another imagineable approach is to conduct replacement as well as let initial arguments to be followed by items read from standard input.







command-line-interface xargs






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked 2 days ago









Na13-cNa13-c

11812




11812












  • -I implies -n 1. If you use -I you are expected to place the single item read from stdin into the command explicitly. cf. seq 1 3 | xargs -I@ echo hello

    – jhnc
    2 days ago


















  • -I implies -n 1. If you use -I you are expected to place the single item read from stdin into the command explicitly. cf. seq 1 3 | xargs -I@ echo hello

    – jhnc
    2 days ago

















-I implies -n 1. If you use -I you are expected to place the single item read from stdin into the command explicitly. cf. seq 1 3 | xargs -I@ echo hello

– jhnc
2 days ago






-I implies -n 1. If you use -I you are expected to place the single item read from stdin into the command explicitly. cf. seq 1 3 | xargs -I@ echo hello

– jhnc
2 days ago













0






active

oldest

votes











Your Answer






StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55028045%2fxargs-i-replacement-from-stdin%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55028045%2fxargs-i-replacement-from-stdin%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices

How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page