Wrong height value in componentDidMount()Which “href” value should I use for JavaScript links, “#” or “javascript:void(0)”?Set a default parameter value for a JavaScript functionHow can I get query string values in JavaScript?Get selected value in dropdown list using JavaScript?Sort array of objects by string property valueDetermine whether an array contains a valueCopy array by valueWhy I can't get element by ref in ReactEvent not firing on a newly created window with ReactjsReactjs Object.keys() in ComponentDidMount wont update local State

Is there a good way to store credentials outside of a password manager?

Curses work by shouting - How to avoid collateral damage?

Failed to fetch jessie backports repository

Is expanding the research of a group into machine learning as a PhD student risky?

Where in the Bible does the greeting ("Dominus Vobiscum") used at Mass come from?

Do I need a multiple entry visa for a trip UK -> Sweden -> UK?

How to verify if g is a generator for p?

Is there any reason not to eat food that's been dropped on the surface of the moon?

Can I Retrieve Email Addresses from BCC?

Is a roofing delivery truck likely to crack my driveway slab?

Print name if parameter passed to function

Why does John Bercow say “unlock” after reading out the results of a vote?

Student evaluations of teaching assistants

What to do with wrong results in talks?

Ways to speed up user implemented RK4

apt-get update is failing in debian

What is the opposite of 'gravitas'?

Is it okay / does it make sense for another player to join a running game of Munchkin?

Is HostGator storing my password in plaintext?

Was Spock the First Vulcan in Starfleet?

Hostile work environment after whistle-blowing on coworker and our boss. What do I do?

Products and sum of cubes in Fibonacci

Coordinate position not precise

Valid Badminton Score?



Wrong height value in componentDidMount()


Which “href” value should I use for JavaScript links, “#” or “javascript:void(0)”?Set a default parameter value for a JavaScript functionHow can I get query string values in JavaScript?Get selected value in dropdown list using JavaScript?Sort array of objects by string property valueDetermine whether an array contains a valueCopy array by valueWhy I can't get element by ref in ReactEvent not firing on a newly created window with ReactjsReactjs Object.keys() in ComponentDidMount wont update local State













0















These three console.log() from here:



import React from 'react';

export default class FixedTopNavigation extends React.Component
constructor(props)
super(props);
this.topNav = React.createRef();

componentDidMount()
console.log(this.topNav.current.offsetHeight);
console.log(this.topNav.current.clientHeight);
console.log(this.topNav.current.scrollHeight);

render()
return (
<nav ref=this.topNav id="topNav" className="fixed-top navbar navbar-expand-md navbar-light bg-light">
<button className="navbar-toggler" type="button" data-toggle="collapse" data-target="#sideNav" aria-controls="navbarTogglerDemo03" aria-expanded="false" aria-label="Toggle navigation">
<span className="navbar-toggler-icon"></span>
</button>
<a className="navbar-brand" href="/">Biometrics</a>
</nav>

)




all returns 18 instead of 45.13 (or at least one of them, and it is the rendered height of the nav bar when looked in the dev console)



If the componentDidMount() does not return the right value, then what would be the way to properly get the right one?



Most answers/tutorial more or less use the same way (except with the way the ref is created), tha's why I don't understand why this code does not work.










share|improve this question






















  • can you give getBoundingClientRect a try from here, also can you also share the css as without those its hard to verify

    – warl0ck
    Mar 8 at 9:51












  • @warl0ck those classes are from Bootstrap

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 8 at 10:06











  • I tried the same code I am getting height as 56, which is the actual final height and I have used the bootstrap lib as you said fro react check this codesandbox snippet

    – warl0ck
    Mar 8 at 10:20











  • @warl0ck it seems that the 18 is the height of the <nav> when there is no style, I noticed this after removing the import of Bootstrap. And also copied your code, and still the same result

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 11 at 3:03
















0















These three console.log() from here:



import React from 'react';

export default class FixedTopNavigation extends React.Component
constructor(props)
super(props);
this.topNav = React.createRef();

componentDidMount()
console.log(this.topNav.current.offsetHeight);
console.log(this.topNav.current.clientHeight);
console.log(this.topNav.current.scrollHeight);

render()
return (
<nav ref=this.topNav id="topNav" className="fixed-top navbar navbar-expand-md navbar-light bg-light">
<button className="navbar-toggler" type="button" data-toggle="collapse" data-target="#sideNav" aria-controls="navbarTogglerDemo03" aria-expanded="false" aria-label="Toggle navigation">
<span className="navbar-toggler-icon"></span>
</button>
<a className="navbar-brand" href="/">Biometrics</a>
</nav>

)




all returns 18 instead of 45.13 (or at least one of them, and it is the rendered height of the nav bar when looked in the dev console)



If the componentDidMount() does not return the right value, then what would be the way to properly get the right one?



Most answers/tutorial more or less use the same way (except with the way the ref is created), tha's why I don't understand why this code does not work.










share|improve this question






















  • can you give getBoundingClientRect a try from here, also can you also share the css as without those its hard to verify

    – warl0ck
    Mar 8 at 9:51












  • @warl0ck those classes are from Bootstrap

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 8 at 10:06











  • I tried the same code I am getting height as 56, which is the actual final height and I have used the bootstrap lib as you said fro react check this codesandbox snippet

    – warl0ck
    Mar 8 at 10:20











  • @warl0ck it seems that the 18 is the height of the <nav> when there is no style, I noticed this after removing the import of Bootstrap. And also copied your code, and still the same result

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 11 at 3:03














0












0








0








These three console.log() from here:



import React from 'react';

export default class FixedTopNavigation extends React.Component
constructor(props)
super(props);
this.topNav = React.createRef();

componentDidMount()
console.log(this.topNav.current.offsetHeight);
console.log(this.topNav.current.clientHeight);
console.log(this.topNav.current.scrollHeight);

render()
return (
<nav ref=this.topNav id="topNav" className="fixed-top navbar navbar-expand-md navbar-light bg-light">
<button className="navbar-toggler" type="button" data-toggle="collapse" data-target="#sideNav" aria-controls="navbarTogglerDemo03" aria-expanded="false" aria-label="Toggle navigation">
<span className="navbar-toggler-icon"></span>
</button>
<a className="navbar-brand" href="/">Biometrics</a>
</nav>

)




all returns 18 instead of 45.13 (or at least one of them, and it is the rendered height of the nav bar when looked in the dev console)



If the componentDidMount() does not return the right value, then what would be the way to properly get the right one?



Most answers/tutorial more or less use the same way (except with the way the ref is created), tha's why I don't understand why this code does not work.










share|improve this question














These three console.log() from here:



import React from 'react';

export default class FixedTopNavigation extends React.Component
constructor(props)
super(props);
this.topNav = React.createRef();

componentDidMount()
console.log(this.topNav.current.offsetHeight);
console.log(this.topNav.current.clientHeight);
console.log(this.topNav.current.scrollHeight);

render()
return (
<nav ref=this.topNav id="topNav" className="fixed-top navbar navbar-expand-md navbar-light bg-light">
<button className="navbar-toggler" type="button" data-toggle="collapse" data-target="#sideNav" aria-controls="navbarTogglerDemo03" aria-expanded="false" aria-label="Toggle navigation">
<span className="navbar-toggler-icon"></span>
</button>
<a className="navbar-brand" href="/">Biometrics</a>
</nav>

)




all returns 18 instead of 45.13 (or at least one of them, and it is the rendered height of the nav bar when looked in the dev console)



If the componentDidMount() does not return the right value, then what would be the way to properly get the right one?



Most answers/tutorial more or less use the same way (except with the way the ref is created), tha's why I don't understand why this code does not work.







javascript reactjs






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Mar 8 at 9:40









Carl BinallaCarl Binalla

4,23042040




4,23042040












  • can you give getBoundingClientRect a try from here, also can you also share the css as without those its hard to verify

    – warl0ck
    Mar 8 at 9:51












  • @warl0ck those classes are from Bootstrap

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 8 at 10:06











  • I tried the same code I am getting height as 56, which is the actual final height and I have used the bootstrap lib as you said fro react check this codesandbox snippet

    – warl0ck
    Mar 8 at 10:20











  • @warl0ck it seems that the 18 is the height of the <nav> when there is no style, I noticed this after removing the import of Bootstrap. And also copied your code, and still the same result

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 11 at 3:03


















  • can you give getBoundingClientRect a try from here, also can you also share the css as without those its hard to verify

    – warl0ck
    Mar 8 at 9:51












  • @warl0ck those classes are from Bootstrap

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 8 at 10:06











  • I tried the same code I am getting height as 56, which is the actual final height and I have used the bootstrap lib as you said fro react check this codesandbox snippet

    – warl0ck
    Mar 8 at 10:20











  • @warl0ck it seems that the 18 is the height of the <nav> when there is no style, I noticed this after removing the import of Bootstrap. And also copied your code, and still the same result

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 11 at 3:03

















can you give getBoundingClientRect a try from here, also can you also share the css as without those its hard to verify

– warl0ck
Mar 8 at 9:51






can you give getBoundingClientRect a try from here, also can you also share the css as without those its hard to verify

– warl0ck
Mar 8 at 9:51














@warl0ck those classes are from Bootstrap

– Carl Binalla
Mar 8 at 10:06





@warl0ck those classes are from Bootstrap

– Carl Binalla
Mar 8 at 10:06













I tried the same code I am getting height as 56, which is the actual final height and I have used the bootstrap lib as you said fro react check this codesandbox snippet

– warl0ck
Mar 8 at 10:20





I tried the same code I am getting height as 56, which is the actual final height and I have used the bootstrap lib as you said fro react check this codesandbox snippet

– warl0ck
Mar 8 at 10:20













@warl0ck it seems that the 18 is the height of the <nav> when there is no style, I noticed this after removing the import of Bootstrap. And also copied your code, and still the same result

– Carl Binalla
Mar 11 at 3:03






@warl0ck it seems that the 18 is the height of the <nav> when there is no style, I noticed this after removing the import of Bootstrap. And also copied your code, and still the same result

– Carl Binalla
Mar 11 at 3:03













1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















0














Two ways you can possibly achieve this.



With a setTimeout() hack



componentDidMount() 
setTimeout(() =>
console.log(this.topNav.current.clientHeight);
, 1);



With findDOMNode()



componentDidMount() 
let compRef = ReactDOM.findDOMNode(this.topNav);
console.log(this.compRef.clientHeight);






share|improve this answer























  • The first code returns 16. What import should I use for the second code?

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 8 at 10:09










Your Answer






StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55060433%2fwrong-height-value-in-componentdidmount%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









0














Two ways you can possibly achieve this.



With a setTimeout() hack



componentDidMount() 
setTimeout(() =>
console.log(this.topNav.current.clientHeight);
, 1);



With findDOMNode()



componentDidMount() 
let compRef = ReactDOM.findDOMNode(this.topNav);
console.log(this.compRef.clientHeight);






share|improve this answer























  • The first code returns 16. What import should I use for the second code?

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 8 at 10:09















0














Two ways you can possibly achieve this.



With a setTimeout() hack



componentDidMount() 
setTimeout(() =>
console.log(this.topNav.current.clientHeight);
, 1);



With findDOMNode()



componentDidMount() 
let compRef = ReactDOM.findDOMNode(this.topNav);
console.log(this.compRef.clientHeight);






share|improve this answer























  • The first code returns 16. What import should I use for the second code?

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 8 at 10:09













0












0








0







Two ways you can possibly achieve this.



With a setTimeout() hack



componentDidMount() 
setTimeout(() =>
console.log(this.topNav.current.clientHeight);
, 1);



With findDOMNode()



componentDidMount() 
let compRef = ReactDOM.findDOMNode(this.topNav);
console.log(this.compRef.clientHeight);






share|improve this answer













Two ways you can possibly achieve this.



With a setTimeout() hack



componentDidMount() 
setTimeout(() =>
console.log(this.topNav.current.clientHeight);
, 1);



With findDOMNode()



componentDidMount() 
let compRef = ReactDOM.findDOMNode(this.topNav);
console.log(this.compRef.clientHeight);







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Mar 8 at 9:57









rrdrrd

3,13031725




3,13031725












  • The first code returns 16. What import should I use for the second code?

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 8 at 10:09

















  • The first code returns 16. What import should I use for the second code?

    – Carl Binalla
    Mar 8 at 10:09
















The first code returns 16. What import should I use for the second code?

– Carl Binalla
Mar 8 at 10:09





The first code returns 16. What import should I use for the second code?

– Carl Binalla
Mar 8 at 10:09



















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55060433%2fwrong-height-value-in-componentdidmount%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices

How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page