How to implement Promise's then in async/await?How do I return the response from an asynchronous call?JavaScript Promise .then() and .catch firing at the same timeHow do JavaScript closures work?How can I upload files asynchronously?How do I check if an element is hidden in jQuery?How do I remove a property from a JavaScript object?How do I redirect to another webpage?How to check whether a string contains a substring in JavaScript?How do I remove a particular element from an array in JavaScript?How do I return the response from an asynchronous call?How and when to use ‘async’ and ‘await’Using async/await with a forEach loop

Is it okay / does it make sense for another player to join a running game of Munchkin?

How to be diplomatic in refusing to write code that breaches the privacy of our users

Will it be accepted, if there is no ''Main Character" stereotype?

Is the destination of a commercial flight important for the pilot?

How can I use the arrow sign in my bash prompt?

What't the meaning of this extra silence?

Is a roofing delivery truck likely to crack my driveway slab?

How does residential electricity work?

Was Spock the First Vulcan in Starfleet?

How could Frankenstein get the parts for his _second_ creature?

Generic lambda vs generic function give different behaviour

Do I need a multiple entry visa for a trip UK -> Sweden -> UK?

Products and sum of cubes in Fibonacci

Is there an Impartial Brexit Deal comparison site?

Implement the Thanos sorting algorithm

The baby cries all morning

What is the opposite of 'gravitas'?

Dot above capital letter not centred

How do I keep an essay about "feeling flat" from feeling flat?

Is there any reason not to eat food that's been dropped on the surface of the moon?

Is there any easy technique written in Bhagavad GITA to control lust?

What would be the benefits of having both a state and local currencies?

Hide Select Output from T-SQL

Go Pregnant or Go Home



How to implement Promise's then in async/await?


How do I return the response from an asynchronous call?JavaScript Promise .then() and .catch firing at the same timeHow do JavaScript closures work?How can I upload files asynchronously?How do I check if an element is hidden in jQuery?How do I remove a property from a JavaScript object?How do I redirect to another webpage?How to check whether a string contains a substring in JavaScript?How do I remove a particular element from an array in JavaScript?How do I return the response from an asynchronous call?How and when to use ‘async’ and ‘await’Using async/await with a forEach loop













0















I have a following async/await method:



async todo() 
const res = await axios.get('/todo')


getTodo()
this.todo()



Now, in async/await, how do you know that request is completed (200)? In Promises, we simply use then:



// store/todo.js
todo()
const res = axios(
method: 'GET',
url: '/todo'
)
return res


// components/Todo.vue
getTodo()
this.todo().then(res =>
console.log('Request Executed Successfully!')
)



This works perfectly but when I try to add async/await in getTodo and execute something like this:



async todo() 
try
const res = await axios.get('/todo')
return res
catch(e)
console.log(e)



async getTodo()
try
await this.todo()
console.log('Request Completed')
catch(e)
console.log(e)




Demo: https://jsfiddle.net/jfn483ae/



It just doesn't work. The log gets executed before the request is completed i.e. after some error has occured. Please help.










share|improve this question
























  • Possible duplicate of How do I return the response from an asynchronous call?

    – Ben Fortune
    Mar 8 at 10:10






  • 2





    "The log gets executed before the request is completed. " — No, that won't happen.

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:10






  • 1





    jsbin.com/ropuwejomo/1/edit?html,js,console — I can't reproduce the problem.

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:13











  • I added a Vue Demo! Please check. There's error but still logs the result.

    – Sanjay
    Mar 8 at 10:34






  • 1





    @Sanjay — When you said "how do you know that request is completed?" did you mean to ask "How can you tell the difference between a request completing and an exception being thrown?"

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:42















0















I have a following async/await method:



async todo() 
const res = await axios.get('/todo')


getTodo()
this.todo()



Now, in async/await, how do you know that request is completed (200)? In Promises, we simply use then:



// store/todo.js
todo()
const res = axios(
method: 'GET',
url: '/todo'
)
return res


// components/Todo.vue
getTodo()
this.todo().then(res =>
console.log('Request Executed Successfully!')
)



This works perfectly but when I try to add async/await in getTodo and execute something like this:



async todo() 
try
const res = await axios.get('/todo')
return res
catch(e)
console.log(e)



async getTodo()
try
await this.todo()
console.log('Request Completed')
catch(e)
console.log(e)




Demo: https://jsfiddle.net/jfn483ae/



It just doesn't work. The log gets executed before the request is completed i.e. after some error has occured. Please help.










share|improve this question
























  • Possible duplicate of How do I return the response from an asynchronous call?

    – Ben Fortune
    Mar 8 at 10:10






  • 2





    "The log gets executed before the request is completed. " — No, that won't happen.

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:10






  • 1





    jsbin.com/ropuwejomo/1/edit?html,js,console — I can't reproduce the problem.

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:13











  • I added a Vue Demo! Please check. There's error but still logs the result.

    – Sanjay
    Mar 8 at 10:34






  • 1





    @Sanjay — When you said "how do you know that request is completed?" did you mean to ask "How can you tell the difference between a request completing and an exception being thrown?"

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:42













0












0








0


0






I have a following async/await method:



async todo() 
const res = await axios.get('/todo')


getTodo()
this.todo()



Now, in async/await, how do you know that request is completed (200)? In Promises, we simply use then:



// store/todo.js
todo()
const res = axios(
method: 'GET',
url: '/todo'
)
return res


// components/Todo.vue
getTodo()
this.todo().then(res =>
console.log('Request Executed Successfully!')
)



This works perfectly but when I try to add async/await in getTodo and execute something like this:



async todo() 
try
const res = await axios.get('/todo')
return res
catch(e)
console.log(e)



async getTodo()
try
await this.todo()
console.log('Request Completed')
catch(e)
console.log(e)




Demo: https://jsfiddle.net/jfn483ae/



It just doesn't work. The log gets executed before the request is completed i.e. after some error has occured. Please help.










share|improve this question
















I have a following async/await method:



async todo() 
const res = await axios.get('/todo')


getTodo()
this.todo()



Now, in async/await, how do you know that request is completed (200)? In Promises, we simply use then:



// store/todo.js
todo()
const res = axios(
method: 'GET',
url: '/todo'
)
return res


// components/Todo.vue
getTodo()
this.todo().then(res =>
console.log('Request Executed Successfully!')
)



This works perfectly but when I try to add async/await in getTodo and execute something like this:



async todo() 
try
const res = await axios.get('/todo')
return res
catch(e)
console.log(e)



async getTodo()
try
await this.todo()
console.log('Request Completed')
catch(e)
console.log(e)




Demo: https://jsfiddle.net/jfn483ae/



It just doesn't work. The log gets executed before the request is completed i.e. after some error has occured. Please help.







javascript asynchronous vue.js promise async-await






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Mar 8 at 11:08







Sanjay

















asked Mar 8 at 10:08









SanjaySanjay

749120




749120












  • Possible duplicate of How do I return the response from an asynchronous call?

    – Ben Fortune
    Mar 8 at 10:10






  • 2





    "The log gets executed before the request is completed. " — No, that won't happen.

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:10






  • 1





    jsbin.com/ropuwejomo/1/edit?html,js,console — I can't reproduce the problem.

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:13











  • I added a Vue Demo! Please check. There's error but still logs the result.

    – Sanjay
    Mar 8 at 10:34






  • 1





    @Sanjay — When you said "how do you know that request is completed?" did you mean to ask "How can you tell the difference between a request completing and an exception being thrown?"

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:42

















  • Possible duplicate of How do I return the response from an asynchronous call?

    – Ben Fortune
    Mar 8 at 10:10






  • 2





    "The log gets executed before the request is completed. " — No, that won't happen.

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:10






  • 1





    jsbin.com/ropuwejomo/1/edit?html,js,console — I can't reproduce the problem.

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:13











  • I added a Vue Demo! Please check. There's error but still logs the result.

    – Sanjay
    Mar 8 at 10:34






  • 1





    @Sanjay — When you said "how do you know that request is completed?" did you mean to ask "How can you tell the difference between a request completing and an exception being thrown?"

    – Quentin
    Mar 8 at 10:42
















Possible duplicate of How do I return the response from an asynchronous call?

– Ben Fortune
Mar 8 at 10:10





Possible duplicate of How do I return the response from an asynchronous call?

– Ben Fortune
Mar 8 at 10:10




2




2





"The log gets executed before the request is completed. " — No, that won't happen.

– Quentin
Mar 8 at 10:10





"The log gets executed before the request is completed. " — No, that won't happen.

– Quentin
Mar 8 at 10:10




1




1





jsbin.com/ropuwejomo/1/edit?html,js,console — I can't reproduce the problem.

– Quentin
Mar 8 at 10:13





jsbin.com/ropuwejomo/1/edit?html,js,console — I can't reproduce the problem.

– Quentin
Mar 8 at 10:13













I added a Vue Demo! Please check. There's error but still logs the result.

– Sanjay
Mar 8 at 10:34





I added a Vue Demo! Please check. There's error but still logs the result.

– Sanjay
Mar 8 at 10:34




1




1





@Sanjay — When you said "how do you know that request is completed?" did you mean to ask "How can you tell the difference between a request completing and an exception being thrown?"

– Quentin
Mar 8 at 10:42





@Sanjay — When you said "how do you know that request is completed?" did you mean to ask "How can you tell the difference between a request completing and an exception being thrown?"

– Quentin
Mar 8 at 10:42












1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















2















The log gets executed […] after some error has occured.




Yes, in your new todo method you catch the error and then return undefined as a normal result. Just don't use try/catch when you cannot handle the error, use the same code as you did orignally and the promise will work the same when you await it:



todo() 
return axios(
method: 'GET',
url: '/todo'
)

async getTodo()
try
await this.todo()
console.log('Request Completed')
catch(e)
console.log(e)







share|improve this answer























  • Seems a better way to do! Thanks!

    – Sanjay
    Mar 8 at 12:08










Your Answer






StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55060918%2fhow-to-implement-promises-then-in-async-await%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









2















The log gets executed […] after some error has occured.




Yes, in your new todo method you catch the error and then return undefined as a normal result. Just don't use try/catch when you cannot handle the error, use the same code as you did orignally and the promise will work the same when you await it:



todo() 
return axios(
method: 'GET',
url: '/todo'
)

async getTodo()
try
await this.todo()
console.log('Request Completed')
catch(e)
console.log(e)







share|improve this answer























  • Seems a better way to do! Thanks!

    – Sanjay
    Mar 8 at 12:08















2















The log gets executed […] after some error has occured.




Yes, in your new todo method you catch the error and then return undefined as a normal result. Just don't use try/catch when you cannot handle the error, use the same code as you did orignally and the promise will work the same when you await it:



todo() 
return axios(
method: 'GET',
url: '/todo'
)

async getTodo()
try
await this.todo()
console.log('Request Completed')
catch(e)
console.log(e)







share|improve this answer























  • Seems a better way to do! Thanks!

    – Sanjay
    Mar 8 at 12:08













2












2








2








The log gets executed […] after some error has occured.




Yes, in your new todo method you catch the error and then return undefined as a normal result. Just don't use try/catch when you cannot handle the error, use the same code as you did orignally and the promise will work the same when you await it:



todo() 
return axios(
method: 'GET',
url: '/todo'
)

async getTodo()
try
await this.todo()
console.log('Request Completed')
catch(e)
console.log(e)







share|improve this answer














The log gets executed […] after some error has occured.




Yes, in your new todo method you catch the error and then return undefined as a normal result. Just don't use try/catch when you cannot handle the error, use the same code as you did orignally and the promise will work the same when you await it:



todo() 
return axios(
method: 'GET',
url: '/todo'
)

async getTodo()
try
await this.todo()
console.log('Request Completed')
catch(e)
console.log(e)








share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Mar 8 at 11:54









BergiBergi

379k63577911




379k63577911












  • Seems a better way to do! Thanks!

    – Sanjay
    Mar 8 at 12:08

















  • Seems a better way to do! Thanks!

    – Sanjay
    Mar 8 at 12:08
















Seems a better way to do! Thanks!

– Sanjay
Mar 8 at 12:08





Seems a better way to do! Thanks!

– Sanjay
Mar 8 at 12:08



















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55060918%2fhow-to-implement-promises-then-in-async-await%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page

Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices