How does get_user_pages() pin a process page in Linux?2019 Community Moderator ElectionHow do “pinned” pages in Linux present (or actually “pin”) themselvesHow does the linux kernel manage less than 1GB physical memory?Walking page tables of a process in LinuxDumping the pfn from /proc/<pid>/pagemap does not give the expected contentGetting a memory physical to pid mapping in linuxHow kernel threaduse memory descriptor(mm_struct) of last ran process in Linux?How are memory read, write, execute permissions enforced in the Linux kernel?Is there a way to use remap_pfn_range() to get hugepages?mmap query on linux platformcan we use virt_to_phys for user space memory in kernel module?How to count the anonymous pages and shared pages for a process in Linux using kernel module

What do you call someone who likes to pick fights?

School performs periodic password audits. Is my password compromised?

Are small insurances worth it?

Why couldn't the separatists legally leave the Republic?

What are some noteworthy "mic-drop" moments in math?

Confusion about Complex Continued Fraction

Recommendation letter by significant other if you worked with them professionally?

How can I manipulate the output of Information?

Windows Server Datacenter Edition - Unlimited Virtual Machines

Why do we say ‘pairwise disjoint’, rather than ‘disjoint’?

What ability score modifier does a javelin's damage use?

Doubts in understanding some concepts of potential energy

Drawing close together horizontal lines in Latex

Did Amazon pay $0 in taxes last year?

Signed and unsigned numbers

Vocabulary for giving just numbers, not a full answer

Is it possible that a question has only two answers?

How can I get players to focus on the story aspect of D&D?

Is there a difference between equilibrium and steady state?

Doesn't allowing a user mode program to access kernel space memory and execute the IN and OUT instructions defeat the purpose of having CPU modes?

Does a difference of tense count as a difference of meaning in a minimal pair?

Is it possible to avoid unpacking when merging Association?

Why is there an extra space when I type "ls" in the Desktop directory?

Whose blood did Carol Danver's receive, Mar-vell's or Yon-Rogg's in the movie?



How does get_user_pages() pin a process page in Linux?



2019 Community Moderator ElectionHow do “pinned” pages in Linux present (or actually “pin”) themselvesHow does the linux kernel manage less than 1GB physical memory?Walking page tables of a process in LinuxDumping the pfn from /proc/<pid>/pagemap does not give the expected contentGetting a memory physical to pid mapping in linuxHow kernel threaduse memory descriptor(mm_struct) of last ran process in Linux?How are memory read, write, execute permissions enforced in the Linux kernel?Is there a way to use remap_pfn_range() to get hugepages?mmap query on linux platformcan we use virt_to_phys for user space memory in kernel module?How to count the anonymous pages and shared pages for a process in Linux using kernel module










0















I am trying to pin a Linux process page by using get_user_pages() function in kernel. (I am using Ubuntu 16.04, Linux-4.4.0).

But I am not clear, how does get_user_pages() pin the process page, or how does that pin mean in the funtion's description.

I did following test to check if the page is pinned.

1. A process, called aligned_alloc(0x1000, 0x1000) to allocation a 4KB memory.

2. A kernel module, which will receive a virtual address from a process by ioctl().

3. Once the virtual address is received in kernel module, it is used to call get_user_pages() like this,

res = get_user_pages(current, current->mm, vaddr, 1, 1, 1, &page);

4. The process is sleeping for hours, for me to check the status.



With above steps, from /proc/pid/maps, /proc/pid/smaps, and /proc/meminfo, I could NOT find the locking (or pinning) of the process's virtual address.



I also checked the ref_count of the page struct for the process virtual address, before and after call get_user_pages(), the ref_count is the same (3 in my test case), like below.



[ 7159.432196] Before, page flag = ffff800004004c, count=3
[ 7159.432196] Pinned Got mmaped.
[ 7159.432197] After, page flags = ffff800004004c, count = 3


Did I miss something?



And how does get_user_pages() pin the process pages?

I found a similar question in SO, How do "pinned" pages in Linux present (or actually "pin") themselves, but no answers.










share|improve this question


























    0















    I am trying to pin a Linux process page by using get_user_pages() function in kernel. (I am using Ubuntu 16.04, Linux-4.4.0).

    But I am not clear, how does get_user_pages() pin the process page, or how does that pin mean in the funtion's description.

    I did following test to check if the page is pinned.

    1. A process, called aligned_alloc(0x1000, 0x1000) to allocation a 4KB memory.

    2. A kernel module, which will receive a virtual address from a process by ioctl().

    3. Once the virtual address is received in kernel module, it is used to call get_user_pages() like this,

    res = get_user_pages(current, current->mm, vaddr, 1, 1, 1, &page);

    4. The process is sleeping for hours, for me to check the status.



    With above steps, from /proc/pid/maps, /proc/pid/smaps, and /proc/meminfo, I could NOT find the locking (or pinning) of the process's virtual address.



    I also checked the ref_count of the page struct for the process virtual address, before and after call get_user_pages(), the ref_count is the same (3 in my test case), like below.



    [ 7159.432196] Before, page flag = ffff800004004c, count=3
    [ 7159.432196] Pinned Got mmaped.
    [ 7159.432197] After, page flags = ffff800004004c, count = 3


    Did I miss something?



    And how does get_user_pages() pin the process pages?

    I found a similar question in SO, How do "pinned" pages in Linux present (or actually "pin") themselves, but no answers.










    share|improve this question
























      0












      0








      0








      I am trying to pin a Linux process page by using get_user_pages() function in kernel. (I am using Ubuntu 16.04, Linux-4.4.0).

      But I am not clear, how does get_user_pages() pin the process page, or how does that pin mean in the funtion's description.

      I did following test to check if the page is pinned.

      1. A process, called aligned_alloc(0x1000, 0x1000) to allocation a 4KB memory.

      2. A kernel module, which will receive a virtual address from a process by ioctl().

      3. Once the virtual address is received in kernel module, it is used to call get_user_pages() like this,

      res = get_user_pages(current, current->mm, vaddr, 1, 1, 1, &page);

      4. The process is sleeping for hours, for me to check the status.



      With above steps, from /proc/pid/maps, /proc/pid/smaps, and /proc/meminfo, I could NOT find the locking (or pinning) of the process's virtual address.



      I also checked the ref_count of the page struct for the process virtual address, before and after call get_user_pages(), the ref_count is the same (3 in my test case), like below.



      [ 7159.432196] Before, page flag = ffff800004004c, count=3
      [ 7159.432196] Pinned Got mmaped.
      [ 7159.432197] After, page flags = ffff800004004c, count = 3


      Did I miss something?



      And how does get_user_pages() pin the process pages?

      I found a similar question in SO, How do "pinned" pages in Linux present (or actually "pin") themselves, but no answers.










      share|improve this question














      I am trying to pin a Linux process page by using get_user_pages() function in kernel. (I am using Ubuntu 16.04, Linux-4.4.0).

      But I am not clear, how does get_user_pages() pin the process page, or how does that pin mean in the funtion's description.

      I did following test to check if the page is pinned.

      1. A process, called aligned_alloc(0x1000, 0x1000) to allocation a 4KB memory.

      2. A kernel module, which will receive a virtual address from a process by ioctl().

      3. Once the virtual address is received in kernel module, it is used to call get_user_pages() like this,

      res = get_user_pages(current, current->mm, vaddr, 1, 1, 1, &page);

      4. The process is sleeping for hours, for me to check the status.



      With above steps, from /proc/pid/maps, /proc/pid/smaps, and /proc/meminfo, I could NOT find the locking (or pinning) of the process's virtual address.



      I also checked the ref_count of the page struct for the process virtual address, before and after call get_user_pages(), the ref_count is the same (3 in my test case), like below.



      [ 7159.432196] Before, page flag = ffff800004004c, count=3
      [ 7159.432196] Pinned Got mmaped.
      [ 7159.432197] After, page flags = ffff800004004c, count = 3


      Did I miss something?



      And how does get_user_pages() pin the process pages?

      I found a similar question in SO, How do "pinned" pages in Linux present (or actually "pin") themselves, but no answers.







      memory-management linux-kernel






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Mar 7 at 5:15









      wangt13wangt13

      1499




      1499






















          0






          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer






          StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
          StackExchange.snippets.init();
          );
          );
          , "code-snippets");

          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "1"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55036524%2fhow-does-get-user-pages-pin-a-process-page-in-linux%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          0






          active

          oldest

          votes








          0






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes















          draft saved

          draft discarded
















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55036524%2fhow-does-get-user-pages-pin-a-process-page-in-linux%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

          How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page

          Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices