How to add " to a string in pythonHow do I check whether a file exists without exceptions?Calling an external command in PythonWhat are metaclasses in Python?How can I safely create a nested directory in Python?How do I parse a string to a float or int in Python?Does Python have a ternary conditional operator?How to get the current time in PythonHow can I make a time delay in Python?Does Python have a string 'contains' substring method?How do I lowercase a string in Python?

I see my dog run

Could a US political party gain complete control over the government by removing checks & balances?

Can you lasso down a wizard who is using the Levitate spell?

How do I create uniquely male characters?

Correctly defining the return of a procedure

Why Is Death Allowed In the Matrix?

Email Account under attack (really) - anything I can do?

Finding files for which a command fails

Is repealing the EU Withdrawal Act a precondition of revoking Article 50?

Shall I use personal or official e-mail account when registering to external websites for work purpose?

Why do UK politicians seemingly ignore opinion polls on Brexit?

What is the offset in a seaplane's hull?

Doomsday-clock for my fantasy planet

Can Medicine checks be used, with decent rolls, to completely mitigate the risk of death from ongoing damage?

Copycat chess is back

How to create a consistant feel for character names in a fantasy setting?

Non-Jewish family in an Orthodox Jewish Wedding

Domain expired, GoDaddy holds it and is asking more money

Is Social Media Science Fiction?

Why is an old chain unsafe?

New order #4: World

Is there really no realistic way for a skeleton monster to move around without magic?

What is GPS' 19 year rollover and does it present a cybersecurity issue?

Is this homebrew feat, Beast of Burden, balanced?



How to add " to a string in python


How do I check whether a file exists without exceptions?Calling an external command in PythonWhat are metaclasses in Python?How can I safely create a nested directory in Python?How do I parse a string to a float or int in Python?Does Python have a ternary conditional operator?How to get the current time in PythonHow can I make a time delay in Python?Does Python have a string 'contains' substring method?How do I lowercase a string in Python?






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty height:90px;width:728px;box-sizing:border-box;








1















I am trying to start a torrent downloader in windows, which is executed from the command prompt. It takes in a command such as torrent "magnet_link". The problem I'm having is when I start the command from python using os.system("start /wait cmd /c torrent " + '"' + link + '"') for some reason the " character is not shown in the command prompt window launched, making the command useless. The response I am getting is: 'dn' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.










share|improve this question



















  • 1





    can you attach a scree shot?

    – Lei Yang
    Mar 9 at 4:22











  • Can you show what you are getting?

    – Rahil Hastu
    Mar 9 at 4:45











  • updated the question

    – Daquaney
    Mar 9 at 4:55

















1















I am trying to start a torrent downloader in windows, which is executed from the command prompt. It takes in a command such as torrent "magnet_link". The problem I'm having is when I start the command from python using os.system("start /wait cmd /c torrent " + '"' + link + '"') for some reason the " character is not shown in the command prompt window launched, making the command useless. The response I am getting is: 'dn' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.










share|improve this question



















  • 1





    can you attach a scree shot?

    – Lei Yang
    Mar 9 at 4:22











  • Can you show what you are getting?

    – Rahil Hastu
    Mar 9 at 4:45











  • updated the question

    – Daquaney
    Mar 9 at 4:55













1












1








1








I am trying to start a torrent downloader in windows, which is executed from the command prompt. It takes in a command such as torrent "magnet_link". The problem I'm having is when I start the command from python using os.system("start /wait cmd /c torrent " + '"' + link + '"') for some reason the " character is not shown in the command prompt window launched, making the command useless. The response I am getting is: 'dn' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.










share|improve this question
















I am trying to start a torrent downloader in windows, which is executed from the command prompt. It takes in a command such as torrent "magnet_link". The problem I'm having is when I start the command from python using os.system("start /wait cmd /c torrent " + '"' + link + '"') for some reason the " character is not shown in the command prompt window launched, making the command useless. The response I am getting is: 'dn' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.







python windows






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Mar 9 at 4:55







Daquaney

















asked Mar 9 at 4:13









DaquaneyDaquaney

326




326







  • 1





    can you attach a scree shot?

    – Lei Yang
    Mar 9 at 4:22











  • Can you show what you are getting?

    – Rahil Hastu
    Mar 9 at 4:45











  • updated the question

    – Daquaney
    Mar 9 at 4:55












  • 1





    can you attach a scree shot?

    – Lei Yang
    Mar 9 at 4:22











  • Can you show what you are getting?

    – Rahil Hastu
    Mar 9 at 4:45











  • updated the question

    – Daquaney
    Mar 9 at 4:55







1




1





can you attach a scree shot?

– Lei Yang
Mar 9 at 4:22





can you attach a scree shot?

– Lei Yang
Mar 9 at 4:22













Can you show what you are getting?

– Rahil Hastu
Mar 9 at 4:45





Can you show what you are getting?

– Rahil Hastu
Mar 9 at 4:45













updated the question

– Daquaney
Mar 9 at 4:55





updated the question

– Daquaney
Mar 9 at 4:55












2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes


















2














Use can use built-in str.center:



link = 'http://stackoverflow.com'
print("start /wait cmd /c torrent %s" % link.center(len(link)+2, '"'))

# start /wait cmd /c torrent "http://stackoverflow.com"





share|improve this answer























  • Doesn't this generate the same string as the code Daquaney wrote?

    – mythenmetz
    Mar 9 at 15:49


















1














Quotation marks in shell are interpreted if you do not escape them. To escape them, prepend a backslash. Look here:



os.system("start /wait cmd /c torrent \"\"".format(link))


What happens:




  • \ is interpreted as a single backslash


  • " is interpreted as a quotation mark


  • .format(link) replaces with link, to avoid adding strings (just for the style of code)





share|improve this answer

























  • when I put this in my code it says that the is an invalid syntax

    – Daquaney
    Mar 9 at 4:27











  • Then you are probably using Python 2 and not 3, the formatting syntax there is a bit more complicated, as it can be seen in Chris answer.

    – mythenmetz
    Mar 9 at 15:46












Your Answer






StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55073917%2fhow-to-add-to-a-string-in-python%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes








2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









2














Use can use built-in str.center:



link = 'http://stackoverflow.com'
print("start /wait cmd /c torrent %s" % link.center(len(link)+2, '"'))

# start /wait cmd /c torrent "http://stackoverflow.com"





share|improve this answer























  • Doesn't this generate the same string as the code Daquaney wrote?

    – mythenmetz
    Mar 9 at 15:49















2














Use can use built-in str.center:



link = 'http://stackoverflow.com'
print("start /wait cmd /c torrent %s" % link.center(len(link)+2, '"'))

# start /wait cmd /c torrent "http://stackoverflow.com"





share|improve this answer























  • Doesn't this generate the same string as the code Daquaney wrote?

    – mythenmetz
    Mar 9 at 15:49













2












2








2







Use can use built-in str.center:



link = 'http://stackoverflow.com'
print("start /wait cmd /c torrent %s" % link.center(len(link)+2, '"'))

# start /wait cmd /c torrent "http://stackoverflow.com"





share|improve this answer













Use can use built-in str.center:



link = 'http://stackoverflow.com'
print("start /wait cmd /c torrent %s" % link.center(len(link)+2, '"'))

# start /wait cmd /c torrent "http://stackoverflow.com"






share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered Mar 9 at 5:34









ChrisChris

3,766522




3,766522












  • Doesn't this generate the same string as the code Daquaney wrote?

    – mythenmetz
    Mar 9 at 15:49

















  • Doesn't this generate the same string as the code Daquaney wrote?

    – mythenmetz
    Mar 9 at 15:49
















Doesn't this generate the same string as the code Daquaney wrote?

– mythenmetz
Mar 9 at 15:49





Doesn't this generate the same string as the code Daquaney wrote?

– mythenmetz
Mar 9 at 15:49













1














Quotation marks in shell are interpreted if you do not escape them. To escape them, prepend a backslash. Look here:



os.system("start /wait cmd /c torrent \"\"".format(link))


What happens:




  • \ is interpreted as a single backslash


  • " is interpreted as a quotation mark


  • .format(link) replaces with link, to avoid adding strings (just for the style of code)





share|improve this answer

























  • when I put this in my code it says that the is an invalid syntax

    – Daquaney
    Mar 9 at 4:27











  • Then you are probably using Python 2 and not 3, the formatting syntax there is a bit more complicated, as it can be seen in Chris answer.

    – mythenmetz
    Mar 9 at 15:46
















1














Quotation marks in shell are interpreted if you do not escape them. To escape them, prepend a backslash. Look here:



os.system("start /wait cmd /c torrent \"\"".format(link))


What happens:




  • \ is interpreted as a single backslash


  • " is interpreted as a quotation mark


  • .format(link) replaces with link, to avoid adding strings (just for the style of code)





share|improve this answer

























  • when I put this in my code it says that the is an invalid syntax

    – Daquaney
    Mar 9 at 4:27











  • Then you are probably using Python 2 and not 3, the formatting syntax there is a bit more complicated, as it can be seen in Chris answer.

    – mythenmetz
    Mar 9 at 15:46














1












1








1







Quotation marks in shell are interpreted if you do not escape them. To escape them, prepend a backslash. Look here:



os.system("start /wait cmd /c torrent \"\"".format(link))


What happens:




  • \ is interpreted as a single backslash


  • " is interpreted as a quotation mark


  • .format(link) replaces with link, to avoid adding strings (just for the style of code)





share|improve this answer















Quotation marks in shell are interpreted if you do not escape them. To escape them, prepend a backslash. Look here:



os.system("start /wait cmd /c torrent \"\"".format(link))


What happens:




  • \ is interpreted as a single backslash


  • " is interpreted as a quotation mark


  • .format(link) replaces with link, to avoid adding strings (just for the style of code)






share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited Mar 9 at 5:30









Chris

3,766522




3,766522










answered Mar 9 at 4:23









mythenmetzmythenmetz

856




856












  • when I put this in my code it says that the is an invalid syntax

    – Daquaney
    Mar 9 at 4:27











  • Then you are probably using Python 2 and not 3, the formatting syntax there is a bit more complicated, as it can be seen in Chris answer.

    – mythenmetz
    Mar 9 at 15:46


















  • when I put this in my code it says that the is an invalid syntax

    – Daquaney
    Mar 9 at 4:27











  • Then you are probably using Python 2 and not 3, the formatting syntax there is a bit more complicated, as it can be seen in Chris answer.

    – mythenmetz
    Mar 9 at 15:46

















when I put this in my code it says that the is an invalid syntax

– Daquaney
Mar 9 at 4:27





when I put this in my code it says that the is an invalid syntax

– Daquaney
Mar 9 at 4:27













Then you are probably using Python 2 and not 3, the formatting syntax there is a bit more complicated, as it can be seen in Chris answer.

– mythenmetz
Mar 9 at 15:46






Then you are probably using Python 2 and not 3, the formatting syntax there is a bit more complicated, as it can be seen in Chris answer.

– mythenmetz
Mar 9 at 15:46


















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55073917%2fhow-to-add-to-a-string-in-python%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices

How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page