ALSA detect (and create) buffer overruns2019 Community Moderator ElectionHow to stream semi-live audio over internetNode.js Live Streaming: Avoid bufferingAudio mixing with alsa's dmix plugin in c++Method for audio playback with known output latency on WindowsReal time audio streaming to mobile device - dynamic playback speedAlsa Buffer overrun while playback of audioALSA buffer xrun induced by low quality source in ffmpeg capturePortAudio unreliable: Expression '…' failedWhen do I know to cause a rebuffer on streaming audio when playing over ALSA?Strange ALSA monitor device behaviour

What is the magic ball of every day?

Reversed Sudoku

How do I express some one as a black person?

Shifting between bemols (flats) and diesis (sharps)in the key signature

Database Backup for data and log files

Find longest word in a string: are any of these algorithms good?

Signed and unsigned numbers

Why is computing ridge regression with a Cholesky decomposition much quicker than using SVD?

How did Alan Turing break the enigma code using the hint given by the lady in the bar?

weren't playing vs didn't play

If I receive an SOS signal, what is the proper response?

How to write ı (i without dot) character in pgf-pie

Is it necessary to separate DC power cables and data cables?

Coax or bifilar choke

Difference on montgomery curve equation between EFD and RFC7748

Should I take out a loan for a friend to invest on my behalf?

How can I get players to stop ignoring or overlooking the plot hooks I'm giving them?

How to draw cubes in a 3 dimensional plane

Conservation of Mass and Energy

Why the color red for the Republican Party

Are all players supposed to be able to see each others' character sheets?

Intuition behind counterexample of Euler's sum of powers conjecture

finite abelian groups tensor product.

Can I pump my MTB tire to max (55 psi / 380 kPa) without the tube inside bursting?



ALSA detect (and create) buffer overruns



2019 Community Moderator ElectionHow to stream semi-live audio over internetNode.js Live Streaming: Avoid bufferingAudio mixing with alsa's dmix plugin in c++Method for audio playback with known output latency on WindowsReal time audio streaming to mobile device - dynamic playback speedAlsa Buffer overrun while playback of audioALSA buffer xrun induced by low quality source in ffmpeg capturePortAudio unreliable: Expression '…' failedWhen do I know to cause a rebuffer on streaming audio when playing over ALSA?Strange ALSA monitor device behaviour










0















I am writing a real time voice streaming application that, for reasons too depressing to explain here, uses ALSA. I have a problem that one sides' voice keeps getting delayed and delayed (i.e. - as the streaming progresses, the voice is issued with higher and higher latency).



I suspect that a clock drift between the two sides causes side A to generate more samples per second than side B plays, causing extra samples to be produced each time.



I have not been able to locate how to ask ALSA how many samples are currently queued, nor limit the buffer size so that ALSA reject my new samples instead of increasing its buffer to play them.



Is what I'm trying to do possible?










share|improve this question






















  • ALSA's buffer size is fixed. You have to measure the relative speeds, and resample accordingly.

    – CL.
    Mar 7 at 7:02















0















I am writing a real time voice streaming application that, for reasons too depressing to explain here, uses ALSA. I have a problem that one sides' voice keeps getting delayed and delayed (i.e. - as the streaming progresses, the voice is issued with higher and higher latency).



I suspect that a clock drift between the two sides causes side A to generate more samples per second than side B plays, causing extra samples to be produced each time.



I have not been able to locate how to ask ALSA how many samples are currently queued, nor limit the buffer size so that ALSA reject my new samples instead of increasing its buffer to play them.



Is what I'm trying to do possible?










share|improve this question






















  • ALSA's buffer size is fixed. You have to measure the relative speeds, and resample accordingly.

    – CL.
    Mar 7 at 7:02













0












0








0








I am writing a real time voice streaming application that, for reasons too depressing to explain here, uses ALSA. I have a problem that one sides' voice keeps getting delayed and delayed (i.e. - as the streaming progresses, the voice is issued with higher and higher latency).



I suspect that a clock drift between the two sides causes side A to generate more samples per second than side B plays, causing extra samples to be produced each time.



I have not been able to locate how to ask ALSA how many samples are currently queued, nor limit the buffer size so that ALSA reject my new samples instead of increasing its buffer to play them.



Is what I'm trying to do possible?










share|improve this question














I am writing a real time voice streaming application that, for reasons too depressing to explain here, uses ALSA. I have a problem that one sides' voice keeps getting delayed and delayed (i.e. - as the streaming progresses, the voice is issued with higher and higher latency).



I suspect that a clock drift between the two sides causes side A to generate more samples per second than side B plays, causing extra samples to be produced each time.



I have not been able to locate how to ask ALSA how many samples are currently queued, nor limit the buffer size so that ALSA reject my new samples instead of increasing its buffer to play them.



Is what I'm trying to do possible?







audio-streaming alsa






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Mar 7 at 6:26









Shachar ShemeshShachar Shemesh

5,89631642




5,89631642












  • ALSA's buffer size is fixed. You have to measure the relative speeds, and resample accordingly.

    – CL.
    Mar 7 at 7:02

















  • ALSA's buffer size is fixed. You have to measure the relative speeds, and resample accordingly.

    – CL.
    Mar 7 at 7:02
















ALSA's buffer size is fixed. You have to measure the relative speeds, and resample accordingly.

– CL.
Mar 7 at 7:02





ALSA's buffer size is fixed. You have to measure the relative speeds, and resample accordingly.

– CL.
Mar 7 at 7:02












0






active

oldest

votes











Your Answer






StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");

StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55037347%2falsa-detect-and-create-buffer-overruns%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























0






active

oldest

votes








0






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55037347%2falsa-detect-and-create-buffer-overruns%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

Thal And Out Agency railway station See also References External links Navigation menuOfficial Web Site of Pakistan RailwaysArchivedOfficial Web Site of Pakistan Railwayseeexpanding ite

Posting a File and Associated Data to a RESTful WebService preferably as JSON2019 Community Moderator ElectionREST URI convention - Singular or plural name of resource while creating itUploading both data and files in one form using Ajax?How do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practicesSpring: JSON data and file in the same requestREST API Put large dataPosting a file and JSON data to Spring rest serviceRESTful Web Service Upload/Download Large Data With JSONREST API Design sending JSON data and a file to the api in same requestPost JSONArray to REST servicePUT vs. POST in RESTParsing values from a JSON file?JavaScript/jQuery to download file via POST with JSON dataHow do I upload a file with metadata using a REST web service?How to POST JSON data with Curl from Terminal/Commandline to Test Spring REST?Separate REST JSON API server and client?what's the correct way to send a file from REST web service to client?How do I write JSON data to a file?What is “406-Not Acceptable Response” in HTTP?REST API - file (ie images) processing - best practices

How can I change the color of pagination dots of UIPageControl?How to change UIPageControl dotsIs there a way to change page indicator dots colorCustomize dot with image of UIPageControl at index 0 of UIPageControlNo visible @interface for 'NSObject<PageControlDelegate>' declares the selector 'pageControlPageDidChange:'How to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per pagepagecontrol indicator custom image instead of DefaultChanging the colour of UIPageControl dots in MonoTouchpagecontrol selectable page visibility color?Alternative way to load ViewControllers on a UIPageControlHow to set only layer.border-color for UIpage control dots in swiftHow can I develop for iPhone using a Windows development machine?How to change the name of an iOS app?UITableView - change section header coloruipagecontrol indicator(dot)issueCustom UIPageControl dots color not changingchange the interspace between UIPageControl dotsHow to change Status Bar text color in iOSHow can I change image tintColor in iOS and WatchKitUIPageControl dots with larger space in between each dotsHow to change the color of pagination dots in UIPageControl with a different color per page